I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA but mild prostatitis

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 15:40

Hi All - this is my first post today but since joining have found some very useful info on the forum.

I am getting worried about my rising PSA against a background of mild symptoms (prostatitis).

I've had a MRI (PIRADS 3) and TRUS with 10 core samples showing benign.

PSA has gone from 4.55 to 8.02 in about a year (last PSA test was May 2022).

I'm waiting for Urology to discuss with me possible next steps in a few weeks. Hinted that LAPT may be the way forward but they will contact me to discuss options.

I've just taken a urine test and still waiting for results from my GP.

I'm 61 years old and have a large prostate at 67cc.

Should I be asking for a repeat PSA test before I commit to the LATP. Is anyone aware of PSA tests being repeated and shown to be erroneous ?

User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 21:35

I asked for a repeat PSA. It was mor or less the same as the previous one, but still worth the reassurance in my opinion. With the large prostate your PSA could be considered to be just about normal, but the increase is indicative of something going on. 

At 61 you are more likely than not to have PCa it is more a question of will it kill you before something else, and how long can you put off treatment and enjoy a fully functional body, before it would become dangerous.

Dave

User
Posted 16 May 2022 at 22:17

Thanks Dave64diag2018. 

I think I will push for another PSA test just to be sure. It gives a bit of reassurance as you say. Hopefully my condition will turn out to be BHP rather than PCa.