I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA still undetectable !

User
Posted 21 May 2022 at 21:06

Just an update ,my Profile explains my situation without going into again here .Just had my last PSA test <0.01 undetectable for 22 months now after RP, Salvage RT and  Enzalutimde which I'm still taking and my consultant is happy to let me continue taking for as long as possible. All the current info re Enzalutimide is showing remarkable results, in my case it was given as first line treatment instead of chemo due to COVID I remain hormone sensitive .

Because the 'mothership' (my Prostate ) has been removed the cancer cells cannot get their reproduction 'instructions' from it .There is a trial underway at the moment to see if removal of the prostate in cases of advanced prostate cancer is beneficial as normally once the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes they would only treat with Hormone therapy and possibly RT

Enzalutimide for some men is a miracle drug and has been very successful when given as first line treatment with Salvage RT .I have had three scans this year all clear which is wonderful news and I remain in remission .So to anyone out there thinking about taking  Enzalutimide in these circumstances I would say from my current experience it has worked extremely well .

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 12:32
Great update!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 17:25

Good to read your results, Enzalutimide success and 'mothership theory' info.  I've long thought that removing the prostate should be an option whatever the situation.  Although I had thought that was because it would be a big generator of cells in the earlier stages not because it was a mothership sending out signals.  All the best, Peter

User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 17:01

Great result, long may it continue.

Ido4

User
Posted 23 May 2022 at 22:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Just an update ,my Profile explains my situation without going into again here .Just had my last PSA test <0.01 undetectable for 22 months now after RP, Salvage RT and  Enzalutimde which I'm still taking and my consultant is happy to let me continue taking for as long as possible. All the current info re Enzalutimide is showing remarkable results, in my case it was given as first line treatment instead of chemo due to COVID I remain hormone sensitive .

Because the 'mothership' (my Prostate ) has been removed the cancer cells cannot get their reproduction 'instructions' from it .There is a trial underway at the moment to see if removal of the prostate in cases of advanced prostate cancer is beneficial as normally once the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes they would only treat with Hormone therapy and possibly 

Sounds like things are going really well, really happy for you.

I’ve just read your bio, could I just ask….when you had surgery did they remove any lymph nodes? I see you were regraded after op but not sure if you were N1 pre op?

Thanks 

Elaine

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 18:01

There is a very good book many here will have read by Dr Patrick Walsh in it he refers to the mothership theory. The thinking is that prostate cancer cells circulating in the blood get back to the mothership the main  prostate cancer, if the prostate has not been removed and pick up chemical messages that cause further tumours to grow.If the prostate has been removed then the mothership can no longer affect these rogue cells ,its an interesting theory .It makes sense that removal of the main cancer would obviously lessen the cancer load thus giving the immune system and treatments a better chance of success in destroying the smaller cancers .

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 18:14

In answer to you question no they didnt remove any lymph nodes I had a choline pet scan after  my RP failed  as my PSA never dropped below 17 which revealed the cancer had spread to some lymph nodes .I started on 3 monthly  hormone injections and Enzalutimde immediately ,followed by 6 weeks of RT .My PSA dropped to undetectable within 4 weeks after commencement of the ADT and was undetectable prior to and after RT and to the present day .

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 16:53

Just another quick update spoke to consultant today PSA still undetectable that makes 24 months after starting ADT and Enzalutimide .She said they will do a bone and CT scan at the end of the year presumably to see whether the cancer still exists anywhere also Enzalutimide being an Anti Androgen can in certain cases mask progression because of a change in the cancer cells to neuroendocrine cancer which produces very little PSA.The newer Anti Androgens are implicated in theses changes to the cancer cells so all men on Enzalutimide should have regular scans  because of this problem they have discovered . It is more prevalent than originally thought so scans should be done fairly regularly .The Oncology department in our NHS trust is outstanding and always on the ball as far as any affecting  recent information is concerned .My last three scans were clear and I feel fine but its good to know they are monitoring me well .

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 18:01

Hi Guys

Have read the thread and have found it encouraging and useful,I myself have just started on enza 3 days ago and 3 month ejection a few weeks ago,I may ask my oncologist the question of removal of the prostrate as she did not mention this at all with my first appointment with her.

Regards Phil