I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Critical illness insurance cover

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 06:34

Does anyone have experience of claiming on their critical illness cover? I think I’m eligible but wondered if insurance companies argue the toss over this as much as everything else!

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 12:02
Depends on your policy. Member experiences here indicate that policies don't pay out for a G3+3 but many will pay out for G3+4 or above regardless of staging
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 14:25

My insurance company (Aviva) paid out promptly and in full for a Gleason 4+3 T2c

Only 2 years after buying a new house with a large mortgage. At least some helpful things came out of being diagnosed with this awful disease aged 45 and I don’t have to worry about my family’s financial security should I die young 

good luck with your claim 

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 21:48

I, like you, am a partner in a small firm. My treatment was RT so I needed plenty of time off for appointments, but not a very aggressive treatment. It was easy for us to schedule work so I had nothing important (well not urgent) to do. So I think just try and arrange light duties for 12 weeks post op. You may find you can do everything and take on more, but as long as you can make sure you could drop nearly everything and it won't crash the business you will be fine.

Good luck with the insurance. Mush as they like weaseling out of paying, I can't sees anything they could argue about.

Dave

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 23:49

We had insurance with Legal & General OH Gleason score was 3+4 and they paid out straight away. Good luck with yours.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 12:02
Depends on your policy. Member experiences here indicate that policies don't pay out for a G3+3 but many will pay out for G3+4 or above regardless of staging
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 14:25

My insurance company (Aviva) paid out promptly and in full for a Gleason 4+3 T2c

Only 2 years after buying a new house with a large mortgage. At least some helpful things came out of being diagnosed with this awful disease aged 45 and I don’t have to worry about my family’s financial security should I die young 

good luck with your claim 

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 21:36

Thanks both. If I’m really lucky and they pay out, we could be mortgage free quite soon. One of the very few upsides. I’m 4+3 so fingers crossed.

Nick 

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 21:48

I, like you, am a partner in a small firm. My treatment was RT so I needed plenty of time off for appointments, but not a very aggressive treatment. It was easy for us to schedule work so I had nothing important (well not urgent) to do. So I think just try and arrange light duties for 12 weeks post op. You may find you can do everything and take on more, but as long as you can make sure you could drop nearly everything and it won't crash the business you will be fine.

Good luck with the insurance. Mush as they like weaseling out of paying, I can't sees anything they could argue about.

Dave

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 22:03

Dave, thanks for your words and that’s a good point. Probably wise to work out now what sort of non essential work I could do post op and plan around that. 

I’m hoping for my very first easy insurance payout! 

Best wishes 

Nick

User
Posted 22 May 2022 at 23:49

We had insurance with Legal & General OH Gleason score was 3+4 and they paid out straight away. Good luck with yours.

User
Posted 08 Sep 2022 at 08:34

In the end, Aegon paid out without too much bother - despite the tortuous process of trying to get the correct information from the nurses, consultants and eventually the consultant’s secretary. 
So now we’re mortgage free. But I would rather be paying a mortgage, if you see what I mean.

Thanks again everyone

Nick

User
Posted 10 Sep 2022 at 06:51

I had no problems.  Once they have the hospital reports, I think they're pretty quick to pay if you're eligible.