I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Flying after RP

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 06:05

my brother in law has had RP (not in UK) and has been told he no longer can go on holiday by plane (he has got head- and back aches as an after effect)

Has anybody else been told they can no longer go by plane (especially long haul)?

Thank you

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 07:09

I've never heard of anyone being told this. This seems very odd. Do you know the reason he's been told he can't fly?

Chris

Edited by member 26 May 2022 at 07:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 08:24

Did they say anything about the time-frame? Is it a confused memory of a temporary post-operative instruction?

I would think travelling by plane quite soon after surgery wouldn't be the best idea, but once fully recovered?

As always - follow the surgeon's advice as they know the patient's specifics.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 22:53
From what I remember of my post-op instructions six years ago, flying straight after the operation was not recommended because of the risk of clots (I was also provided with the daily self-injections, don't know whether all hospitals do that).

But the doctor said I should be fine after 6 weeks. So we booked a trip for 6 weeks time, which was fantastic psychologically after all the pressure of the operation. The flights weren't an issue.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 07:09

I've never heard of anyone being told this. This seems very odd. Do you know the reason he's been told he can't fly?

Chris

Edited by member 26 May 2022 at 07:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 08:24

Did they say anything about the time-frame? Is it a confused memory of a temporary post-operative instruction?

I would think travelling by plane quite soon after surgery wouldn't be the best idea, but once fully recovered?

As always - follow the surgeon's advice as they know the patient's specifics.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 22:53
From what I remember of my post-op instructions six years ago, flying straight after the operation was not recommended because of the risk of clots (I was also provided with the daily self-injections, don't know whether all hospitals do that).

But the doctor said I should be fine after 6 weeks. So we booked a trip for 6 weeks time, which was fantastic psychologically after all the pressure of the operation. The flights weren't an issue.

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 08:45

We flew to Australia 8 weeks after my op.  It was just after my first post op appointment and I only booked the accommodation after the appointment in case I was told not to go 

User
Posted 28 May 2022 at 09:21
I think it depends on how long the flight is. I flew 3 days after RARP but only 1 hour to get home. The Surgeon was aware and OK'd it. The long taxi drive to the airport with a very inconsiderate driver was far more uncomfortable than the flight.

Cheers

Bill