I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wound not healing

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 14:19

Hi all, my husband is 10 weeks post op and all going well with no real major issues.......... apart from the wound where the prostate was removed is struggling to heal fully. Today he returned to the GP for a second course of antibiotics in 4 weeks. There is a small section, perhaps 1cm at the top of the incision which just doesn’t want to close. Interested to know how common this is, nurse intimated it can be an issue (it is in our case!). 

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 15:39

Hi Janey,

Not sure how common it is, but one of my wounds opened a few hours after they removed the staples. I had the nurse re-dress it a few times, and it took around four weeks to close up before it started scabbing over. 

Hope this helps. 

Kev.

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 17:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Janey,

Not sure how common it is, but one of my wounds opened a few hours after they removed the staples. I had the nurse re-dress it a few times, and it took around four weeks to close up before it started scabbing over. 

Hope this helps. 

Kev.

thanks for replying Kev. He didn’t have any staples. I’m hoping it willl do it it’s thing as it were. It’s troublesome and just when you think it’s nearly healed it opens again. Need to be more patient!  

User
Posted 30 May 2022 at 19:49

Hi Jayney. When it happened to me the nurse referred to it as wound dehiscence. She closed the gape with a steristrip and I was prescribed a course of antibiotics. It did eventually scab over but it is a slow process. It now just looks a bit uglier than the rest of the scar. Chris

User
Posted 14 Jun 2022 at 21:28

How you getting on Chris?

User
Posted 21 Jun 2022 at 20:57

I only just pick up your response Jayney. My wound is fine and just causes some minor discomfort when wearing large buckle belts. Still trying to get to the bottom of where the post op PSA of 0.28 is coming from. Currently awaiting pelvic MRI scan results. Chris