I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Degarelix - a painful jab

User
Posted 31 May 2022 at 17:57

I'm due to go back on Prostap in 4 weeks' time after being off it for a year.  PSA is on the rise.

They have given me Bicalutamide as a starter, then yesterday I had 2x jabs with Degarelix in preparation for restarting the Prostap.  At the time it seemed OK, but last night and today the pain on the surface of my skin (belly) where I had the jabs has been incredibly tender.  It feels like someone is rubbing sandpaper over it.

I've never had any problems with Prostap, but this is really uncomfortable.

Rang the GP practice and the nurse said to take painkillers this evening, if it doesn't improve by tomorrow lunchtime, give them another call and she'll get me in to have a look.

Meanwhile, could I rub something like ibuprofen gel on it?  Or maybe aloe vera gel?

User
Posted 31 May 2022 at 19:42

That's a very strange hormone therapy starting regime you've got there.

Degarelix is usually only used if it's urgent to get hormone therapy started quickly, or for patients with cardio issues. It doesn't require bicalutamide because it doesn't generate a Testosterone flare.

Prostap does generate a Testosterone flare when you start on it which is why bicalutamide is used. However, you can start on Degarelix for quick Testosterone suppression instead and then switch to Prostap, although I'm not quite sure what the switchover procedure is.

I would question what they're suggesting, because it's not normal as far as I know.

Degarelix does have the most significant injection site issues of the hormone therapy injections, but it's only the first dose which is 2 injections. If they continued you on it, the 4-weekly maintenance dose is one smaller injection.