I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Posters from Prostate UK

User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 17:39

Been to the hospital today with OH to have the catheter removed and on every bus shelter was a poster from Prostate UK urging men to check their risk factor for prostate cancer. Hope lots of men follow that advice.

User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 19:37
Went well, thank you. Now the next step -sort incontinence. Will. put squeeze app on his phone.
User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 17:39

Been to the hospital today with OH to have the catheter removed and on every bus shelter was a poster from Prostate UK urging men to check their risk factor for prostate cancer. Hope lots of men follow that advice.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 19:18

We can all do our bit too. Any guy (Postman, courier, supermarket delivery driver etc) that visits me or I know and is over 50 I tell them about my situation and recommend they get tested. Many have, with only one out of the 5 who has reported back saying that their PSA is higher than it should be (7.5). The other 4 have PSA ranging from 0.4 to 1.8.

Ivan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 19:07

DW , how did the TWOC  procedure go. ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 01 Jun 2022 at 19:37
Went well, thank you. Now the next step -sort incontinence. Will. put squeeze app on his phone.
User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:37

I thank God for PCUK and for this online community.

I know that billboard posters are necessary for raising funds and awareness.  However, I recall one evening shortly after I had told my children I had cancer.  My 16 year old son and I got of the train and there in the station was a huge pcuk poster saying something like 'every 60 seconds a man dies from prostate cancer'.  It really scared my son.

But maybe these scary messages are needed.

Not a criticism, just a conundrum 

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 13:46

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

All NHS England regions have been tasked with improving early prostate cancer detection rates. It's good that you can see some activity, probably initiated by your local Cancer Alliance. Some of the Cancer Alliances synchronised campaigns with PUCK's and NHS England's March campaign to raise awareness through PCUK's risk checker. Some of the local campaigns happened almost without anyone noticing, and I don't think all regions have done anything yet.

Some areas have recognised that GP's are a significant hurdle, both because of their outdated views on prostate cancer, and because patients can't easily get appointments. I have seen that one urology department is allowing patients to bypass GPs in an effort to increase early detection rates.

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 15:17
I've noticed a fair number of PCUK posters and billboards here in the NW of England, too. I suspect they're running an advertising campaign at present.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 19:18

We can all do our bit too. Any guy (Postman, courier, supermarket delivery driver etc) that visits me or I know and is over 50 I tell them about my situation and recommend they get tested. Many have, with only one out of the 5 who has reported back saying that their PSA is higher than it should be (7.5). The other 4 have PSA ranging from 0.4 to 1.8.

Ivan

User
Posted 02 Jun 2022 at 23:50
It is also the case that once you are affected by prostate cancer, you are more attuned to anything linked to it. So suddenly, you notice all the presenters on MOTD wearing their PCUK everyman badge ... is it a new thing, no - it just didn't register before.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard