I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My lifestyle

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 11:07

I'm 77 now, I've never been overweight (still a waist of 30") I drink beer (in the pub) and wine (at home) I gave up smoking when I was about 24 years old (No 6 price went up to 20p a packet) and I haven't eaten meat for at least 50 years. I grew up in the countryside and am from a caravan Romany family. We moved into our first house in 1958.

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in 2014 and elected to have my Prostate removed surgically in April 2015 via the Da Vinci Robot. I had two weeks of anxiety wondering if I would ever get control of my bladder again, such a relief when I did! I then did my convalescence time and then resumed 'normal' life.

I worked with the mentally ill all of my adult life and retired as an Advocate. I wanted a hobby/interest so decided to lake up long-distance backpacking and camping. In July, August and September of 2015, I hiked the full length of the Pyrenees, (nearly 600 miles I believe) from Hendaye at the Bay of Biscay to Banyuls Sur Mere at the Mediterranean over 49 days on the GR10 hiking route. I managed to get myself a hernia on Day 17 but solved my difficulty on Day 21 by buying a truss and it was permanently repaired in November 2015.

I consider myself to be very lucky, I've never been on any medication and have always been able to enjoy my life since.

In the middle of June 2022 I'm going to Banyuls Sur Mere again and I plan to walk and camp the GR10 across the Pyrenees once again but this time TO the Bay of Biscay. I've tried to find hiking companions to walk with me but I've had no luck so will be doing it by myself. I'll try to pace myself and walk one week at a time, if I have to give up so be it, but I want to try!

When I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I thought this is it, my end is near, but it wasn't!

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 13:48

Great story. Most are here because of problems, getting a perspective, that people can have a good life after cancer is what we need to hear more of.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 11:07

I'm 77 now, I've never been overweight (still a waist of 30") I drink beer (in the pub) and wine (at home) I gave up smoking when I was about 24 years old (No 6 price went up to 20p a packet) and I haven't eaten meat for at least 50 years. I grew up in the countryside and am from a caravan Romany family. We moved into our first house in 1958.

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in 2014 and elected to have my Prostate removed surgically in April 2015 via the Da Vinci Robot. I had two weeks of anxiety wondering if I would ever get control of my bladder again, such a relief when I did! I then did my convalescence time and then resumed 'normal' life.

I worked with the mentally ill all of my adult life and retired as an Advocate. I wanted a hobby/interest so decided to lake up long-distance backpacking and camping. In July, August and September of 2015, I hiked the full length of the Pyrenees, (nearly 600 miles I believe) from Hendaye at the Bay of Biscay to Banyuls Sur Mere at the Mediterranean over 49 days on the GR10 hiking route. I managed to get myself a hernia on Day 17 but solved my difficulty on Day 21 by buying a truss and it was permanently repaired in November 2015.

I consider myself to be very lucky, I've never been on any medication and have always been able to enjoy my life since.

In the middle of June 2022 I'm going to Banyuls Sur Mere again and I plan to walk and camp the GR10 across the Pyrenees once again but this time TO the Bay of Biscay. I've tried to find hiking companions to walk with me but I've had no luck so will be doing it by myself. I'll try to pace myself and walk one week at a time, if I have to give up so be it, but I want to try!

When I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer I thought this is it, my end is near, but it wasn't!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 16:41

I'm a keen rambler, Jim, and although I was fine with walking on the flat three months after abdominal surgery, doing the steep hills, as you know, uses different muscles to walking on the flat, and I reckon it took a good six months before I could comfortably tackle strenuous climbs again. It takes a long time for all the muscles that are cut to re-knit properly.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 05 Jun 2022 at 16:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 19:11
Jim, surgery will keep you out of the peaks for a good 3-6 months - major abdominal surgery takes a long time to get over. By the time you're physically able to tackle the mountains you should be well on the way to regaining your continence.

Cheers,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 13:29
Great you are doing well and your pastime helps keep you fit. I trust that even though your PCa operation has not restricted you, you are still getting periodic cancer checks.
Barry
User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 13:48

Great story. Most are here because of problems, getting a perspective, that people can have a good life after cancer is what we need to hear more of.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 13:56

Good to hear a success story, long may it continue. Did you collect enough No6 coupons to get anything decent.😄.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 19:11
Jim, surgery will keep you out of the peaks for a good 3-6 months - major abdominal surgery takes a long time to get over. By the time you're physically able to tackle the mountains you should be well on the way to regaining your continence.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Jun 2022 at 20:16

Brilliant that you have managed so well. My husband was always a sailor and not a climber but two years before he died he tackled one of the Welsh mountains with a friend and felt a huge surge of achievement. We also drove from UK to Denmark 2 years running and had a motorhome. Never let cancer stop you from doing what you want to do while you can

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 16:41

I'm a keen rambler, Jim, and although I was fine with walking on the flat three months after abdominal surgery, doing the steep hills, as you know, uses different muscles to walking on the flat, and I reckon it took a good six months before I could comfortably tackle strenuous climbs again. It takes a long time for all the muscles that are cut to re-knit properly.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 05 Jun 2022 at 16:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jun 2022 at 20:13

Good to hear your positive story.  Likewise I had a robot-assisted prostatectomy in 2016 aged 62.  I had taken up running very late in life (just a year before my op, in 2015).  I was able to get back into running after 8 weeks  - only short distances at first - but I now regularly run distances of 5k up to half marathon with very satisfactory race times (I also run the occasional marathon but my times so far are pretty rubbish).  Although I got most of my continence back after 8 weeks I still leak a little unless my bladder is empty - so I always run before breakfast, even for the longest runs.  The occasional time I tried running in the evening left me embarrassingly damp.  I never use pads for running or any other activity except hillwalking, where I find I leak uncontrollably during the end-of-day descents.  Obviously it's annoying but actually I've been very fortunate, and am grateful for that.

Best wishes