I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Starting HT & RT treatment

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 13:11

So although my husband was leaning towards HT/RT treatment, at our last appointment with the surgeon, he also recommended this as my husband was recovering from bronchitis and shortness of breath. In a way it was a relief to have the decision made for us. 
My husband started on bicalutamide hormone tablets yesterday and in 2 weeks will have a Zoladex injection then 2 more weeks of tablets with another injection 3 months later. He’ll start RT in 3 months providing his PSA level is down to 1. 
I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on side effects and what helped them. Is there anything I should get/do in advance to help him. I’d be grateful for any advice/info. 
Thank you very much in advance.
Jennie 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 18:33
The main side-effect of RT that I experienced was the need to pee every 45m, 24h a day, for the last couple of weeks of treatment, and about a month after it ended, due to the radiation irritating the bladder. This is, as one may imagine, pretty exhausting! Best thing I bought was a plastic urine bottle (Amazon) so I didn’t need to get out of bed to pee. You get back to sleep much faster as a result, which is a huge benefit.

Chris

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 21:01
All good info , wear boxer shorts /joggers to the session be as comfortable as possible , you will need the toilet asap after session , carry a toilet card , know where to stop on way home if a pee is needed , carry a plastic bottle / towel in car you might need it ? Your bowels need to be empty , the machine scans you first before treatment and you will get a red card if bowels too full . You might find yourself a bit depressed whilst on zoladex , a brisk walk helps . Try and keep your penis healthy , use it or lose it whilst on the drugs
User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 13:45

Some things...

He needs to regard exercise as mandatory while on HT. This can reduce a number of the side effects. Even just daily walks will help things.

He should start doing pelvic floor exercises as this will improve his chances of remaining continent during the RT, which can be difficult towards the end and for a few weeks afterwards.

Does he know how long he will be on HT?

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 14:42

The Zoladex, which I also had will tend to make your husband more quickly fatigued and lethargic. I suggest he tries to get himself as fit as he reasonably can and determine try to stay that way the best he can. I would also recommend he plots where the toilets are on the journey between hospital and home, although the hospital may want his bladder full or empty depending on their regime. It is highly likely that during his RT he will have to get up several times during the night to have a pee.

Most people tolerate RT quite well and it's just like an extended x ray with the Linac moving at predetermined times. It is usual for an explanatory session when a man gets small tattoo alignment marks ahead of the RT starting. Most men also go on to have HT after RT for varying times but mostly for about 18 months. Although other side effects may develop, by the end of RT the need to urinate more frequently and with greater urgency has started to reduce and continues to do fo the next couple or so months.

Best to stay out of the sun whilst having RT and for a time afterwards Men can become a little sore in which case they should ask what creams should be lightly applied.

Edited by member 07 Jun 2022 at 18:48  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 19:58
When the radio therapy is completed, the side-effects will actually get worse for about 2 weeks, then start to taper off over the next 10 weeks or so. Don't think that just because you have had your last 'fraction' of x-rays it is all over! But the side efffects can be dealt with, and do improve, gradually. And since you know what has caused them has probably destroyed your cancer, it's tolerable!

Hermit.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 21:09
It also helps if you personally know anyone who as been thru the procedure ? I was lucky to know several guys who had Pca , they gave me great advice , those tablets will certainly bring down you psa levels but 1 seems a bit ambitious ? Different hospitals /trusts have different ways of approaching pca
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 13:45

Some things...

He needs to regard exercise as mandatory while on HT. This can reduce a number of the side effects. Even just daily walks will help things.

He should start doing pelvic floor exercises as this will improve his chances of remaining continent during the RT, which can be difficult towards the end and for a few weeks afterwards.

Does he know how long he will be on HT?

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 14:42

The Zoladex, which I also had will tend to make your husband more quickly fatigued and lethargic. I suggest he tries to get himself as fit as he reasonably can and determine try to stay that way the best he can. I would also recommend he plots where the toilets are on the journey between hospital and home, although the hospital may want his bladder full or empty depending on their regime. It is highly likely that during his RT he will have to get up several times during the night to have a pee.

Most people tolerate RT quite well and it's just like an extended x ray with the Linac moving at predetermined times. It is usual for an explanatory session when a man gets small tattoo alignment marks ahead of the RT starting. Most men also go on to have HT after RT for varying times but mostly for about 18 months. Although other side effects may develop, by the end of RT the need to urinate more frequently and with greater urgency has started to reduce and continues to do fo the next couple or so months.

Best to stay out of the sun whilst having RT and for a time afterwards Men can become a little sore in which case they should ask what creams should be lightly applied.

Edited by member 07 Jun 2022 at 18:48  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 18:33
The main side-effect of RT that I experienced was the need to pee every 45m, 24h a day, for the last couple of weeks of treatment, and about a month after it ended, due to the radiation irritating the bladder. This is, as one may imagine, pretty exhausting! Best thing I bought was a plastic urine bottle (Amazon) so I didn’t need to get out of bed to pee. You get back to sleep much faster as a result, which is a huge benefit.

Chris

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 19:58
When the radio therapy is completed, the side-effects will actually get worse for about 2 weeks, then start to taper off over the next 10 weeks or so. Don't think that just because you have had your last 'fraction' of x-rays it is all over! But the side efffects can be dealt with, and do improve, gradually. And since you know what has caused them has probably destroyed your cancer, it's tolerable!

Hermit.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 21:01
All good info , wear boxer shorts /joggers to the session be as comfortable as possible , you will need the toilet asap after session , carry a toilet card , know where to stop on way home if a pee is needed , carry a plastic bottle / towel in car you might need it ? Your bowels need to be empty , the machine scans you first before treatment and you will get a red card if bowels too full . You might find yourself a bit depressed whilst on zoladex , a brisk walk helps . Try and keep your penis healthy , use it or lose it whilst on the drugs
User
Posted 07 Jun 2022 at 21:09
It also helps if you personally know anyone who as been thru the procedure ? I was lucky to know several guys who had Pca , they gave me great advice , those tablets will certainly bring down you psa levels but 1 seems a bit ambitious ? Different hospitals /trusts have different ways of approaching pca