I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long left with everthing

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 16:53

I have just been diagnosed with S4 Prostate cancer thats spread to my bones. I will take treatment but they said I wouldn't live a year. Tbh as scared as I am I would take another couple. I'm 40 years old btw so very young for this. Such is life i guess. Is there anyone on this forum who can give me advice/help about what to do if it is terminal like me?

Cheers,

Kieren

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 19:13

Sorry to hear your situation kieran I had treatment with a guy who was given 3 years in 2009 he his still here and treatment improving all the time stay positive and see what treatment plan is offered good luck and stay positive gaz 👍

Edited by member 08 Jun 2022 at 19:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 20:39

So sorry to hear this Kieran.  I’m just here to say I am in the same boat (Stage 4) although I am older, 53. I haven’t yet been given a prognosis although I fear the worst (it has spread  to bones and to the lymph nodes).  I just wanted to say that any estimate is just that and I hope you, like me, are willing to try and  prove them wrong.  I may have a skewed perception but I always think of terminal as the last few weeks of life, I’m not sure why.  I see this more as life limiting but with plenty life still to live. 

Hang in there and best wishes.  

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 19:13

Sorry to hear your situation kieran I had treatment with a guy who was given 3 years in 2009 he his still here and treatment improving all the time stay positive and see what treatment plan is offered good luck and stay positive gaz 👍

Edited by member 08 Jun 2022 at 19:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 20:39

So sorry to hear this Kieran.  I’m just here to say I am in the same boat (Stage 4) although I am older, 53. I haven’t yet been given a prognosis although I fear the worst (it has spread  to bones and to the lymph nodes).  I just wanted to say that any estimate is just that and I hope you, like me, are willing to try and  prove them wrong.  I may have a skewed perception but I always think of terminal as the last few weeks of life, I’m not sure why.  I see this more as life limiting but with plenty life still to live. 

Hang in there and best wishes.  

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 20:57

Hi Kieran,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis.

Have you been given any idea of how much it has spread? And also have you been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma type cancer?

My husband was told his had spread to his pelvis but we got a second opinion which fortunately for us disagreed.

Whatever you’re told re prognosis they never really know for sure so don’t accept it and just keep being positive and keep fighting. Having a positive outlook can really take you a long way which I’m sure others on here will be able to tell you.

Wishing you all the best 

Elaine 

User
Posted 08 Jun 2022 at 21:18
Hi Kieren, do you have your diagnosis letters yet? Something doesn't quite add up here and I am wondering whether you perhaps misunderstood what was said, or there is other information that you haven't given to us?

Generally, men diagnosed with spread to bones will still be here 5 years later and many are still around in 10 years - we have members who were diagnosed with bone mets 15 / 18 years ago. Is it possible that the oncologist said that you would have about 12 months if you didn't have any treatment?

Men are rarely diagnosed at a terminal stage - 'terminal' means that they are likely to die within the next 6 months and no active treatment is given beyond treatment to improve quality of life. Men diagnosed that late tend to have more serious mets - to the brain or liver, for example.

What treatment plan are they recommending for you?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard