Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advice would be welcome please

User
Posted 09 Jun 2022 at 23:52

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please bare with me!

I am looking for some guidance.

about 2 months ago I found a lump on my epididymis. My urologist has suggested this was nothing to worry about and an ultrasound just showed a swelling to the episodically head!  This though I feel is getting a little bigger. I was also feeling aches and pains in my groin. I have another ultrasound for this in July.

As a precaution I was referred for an MRI (pre DRE and PSA tests)

the MRI results are back and I have been classed as a PI-RAD 3!  This is because the scan has showed some diffused T2 low signal intensity in the peripheral zones that is indicative of prostatitis.  I have a 24ml prostate.

Through research this I believe could also be masking Prostate Cancer (PC). I have no symptoms of Prostatitis except some aches in my groin which again could be PC.

I have now just had a DRE which was normal and my PSA has fortunately come back at 0.504 (I am 48 years old) I have also been prescribed 6 weeks of antibiotics.

I need some advise on next steps….  Do I have a biopsy if offered? Or do I just have monitoring of PSA over time?  

If antibiotics work if it is prostatitis would a new MRI show a change to the T2 low signal intensity to normal intensity in 6 weeks and the PI-RAD downgraded?

if I have a biopsy and cancer is diagnosed my nature would lead me to a radical prostatectomy as I would be so worried and want to be around for my family for as long as possible (wife and 4 children) . Obviously the after affects of this procedure are quite worrying. And potentially life changing. 

I hope I am not  being insensitive as some are in a much worse predicament but I am still so worried.

please could I have your insight gents (and ladies)

thanks Mike

Edited by member 10 Jun 2022 at 07:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 07:13
Prostate cancer does not typically cause "aches and pains". They are usually indicative of some sort of UTI. Also with prostate cancer your PSA does not go up and down, but steadily rises. You have all the symptoms of an infection and the course of antibiotics should clear it up.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 07:31

Thanks for your advice Chris

Edited by member 10 Jun 2022 at 08:09  | Reason: Not specified