I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Watching skin A&E as I recover from surgery

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 01:00

Probably ill-advised but curiously fascinating. Had my robotic prostatectomy today and so far no pain. Been given pain relief so not sure what it’ll be like after discharge. Not a question really just a bored patient sharing. 
Still wondering if March for Men would be a good idea before Father’s Day.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 23:39

Yes, I had no pain after the op.  They kept offering me drugs and when I refused gave me a look as if I was trying to be macho, which I wasn't.   

I never had any pain except when I tried to lift things that upset the main wound in the centre of my stomach.   Also occasionally well after the op and about 3 times well spread out, I got intense pain from my sciatic nerve which someone said can be nudged in the operation.  Fortunately it only lasted a few seconds because it was very painful.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2022 at 12:31

Yes a shared ward with someone shouting throughout the night was not much fun at the Christie. Mind you if I had managed to sleep my snoring would have kept everyone else awake. So it is swings and roundabouts.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 10:01

Hi Omo,

Which hospital were you treated at?

Dave

User
Posted 10 Jun 2022 at 23:39

Yes, I had no pain after the op.  They kept offering me drugs and when I refused gave me a look as if I was trying to be macho, which I wasn't.   

I never had any pain except when I tried to lift things that upset the main wound in the centre of my stomach.   Also occasionally well after the op and about 3 times well spread out, I got intense pain from my sciatic nerve which someone said can be nudged in the operation.  Fortunately it only lasted a few seconds because it was very painful.

User
Posted 11 Jun 2022 at 09:29
Bump
User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 13:26

Guys but I got lucky and was treated at the private wing

User
Posted 12 Jun 2022 at 18:15
I don't think there is much difference between NHS and private when you are in for RARP. Same surgeon, different setting. I was treated @ the Royal marsden by a surgeon who does both private and NHS work. I don't think my prostate could tell the difference.
User
Posted 13 Jun 2022 at 12:05

Oh I know that bit. It’s the aftercare on the ward that makes the difference. I think it’s the govt funding to clear the Covid backlog that is used for a lot of the electives in private care. Royal Free use Princess Grace I believe. Guys have more robots than HCA at London Bridge so the surgery will be the same. Not sure if I were in the main building I’d get a bed with a duvet, large screen tv and great views of Bermondsey 😂. Not to mention the menu.

User
Posted 13 Jun 2022 at 12:31

Yes a shared ward with someone shouting throughout the night was not much fun at the Christie. Mind you if I had managed to sleep my snoring would have kept everyone else awake. So it is swings and roundabouts.

Dave