I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Paraplegia Th6 Th7

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 08:33

Dear all, I'm reaching out to this community on behalf of my father (born 1958) who has been diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma prostate NG II, GS 8 (4+4) PNI0 L1 TV 80% pT3a in late December 2021. 

The first symptom he got was that he "lost" his legs. He just dropped down and was not able to move his legs. We went to an emergency center and CT showed meta changes in his spine with compression in Th6 / Th7 area.

To make a long story short he went on spinal decompression laminectomy Th6/Th7 in February this year and everything that was making compression was removed. He started to feel and move a bit his legs. He is still practicing and every day he is making progress but he is still attached to the bed.

He also got EDGE radiation therapy from Th5 to Th 8 in April this year. He also started chemotherapy with docetaxel in march this year, he just completed the 4th cycle.

Question to all of you is do you know someone who developed paraplegia due to the meta changes in the spine? What was their story, did they manage to walk again? What kind of practices they have been doing etc. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Big thanks from Belgrade.

Bojan

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 12:13

Sorry to hear about your dad.

My dad had spinal compression, although this was not due to prostate cancer but due to non-cancerous bone growth (which has a name I forget) into the spinal cord. He had that shaved off in an operation. He did recover, but it was never as good as it had been, but he could walk around inside, and outside with a stick. Bruised nerves can take a long time to heal, and some of the nerves in the bundle probably never do heal. Unfortunately, my dad never believed what the physiotherapists were telling him to do, and as soon as he got a bit of mobility, he stopped doing the exercises they told him to do, so it never got any better, and indeed over time, it got worse and you can see he's lost a lot of muscle (and strength) in his legs as a result and is less stable.

So I think it's important to get physiotherapist help and keep exercising. They can accurately identify where weakness or lack of muscle action is, and devise specific exercises to help. There may be some specific leg or foot appliances they can suggest to help too, based on exactly which muscles might not be working correctly.

Edited by member 16 Jun 2022 at 12:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 13:47

Dear Andy62, thanks a lot for sharing your experience, much appreciated.

I'm fully aware that things will never be as before but any style of walking would be enough, at least he can go to the restroom on his own.  Sorry to hear that your father wasn't listening to his physiotherapists, we are lucky that he is very collaborative and he is practicing every day.

Wish you and your dad all the best.

Bojan

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 15:20

Does he have a walking frame? That can sometimes make people more mobile.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 15:23

We are about to get parallel bars so he can practice standing and maybe walking. He is able to control his legs a little bit but I would say that he is still far from walking. Physiotherapists said that they can't use electrical stimulation devices because it is not allowed for oncology patients. 

thanks again for your advice.

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 15:52

Just to endorse everything Andy 62 said above.Had SCC last Autumn and with magnificent help from the physios in and after discharge from hospital have got some mobility back.Have exercise programme which I try and do everyday to keep muscles toned.

Assume local authority has put in grab rails on stairs,raised toilet seats etc?

Regards

Norm

Edited by member 16 Jun 2022 at 15:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 16:01

Hi Norman, thanks for sharing this and so glad you got your mobility back.

Could you share what kind of exercise program you went through?

My dad is having his kinesiotherapy every day for the last 4 months and he got back some leg movements but as I said earlier he is still far from walking. The other day he was able to stand for the first time with a little help of physiotherapists, he said that he is feeling that his legs took over. If there were any exercises that you find particularly useful I would be so thankful if you could share them.

There is no support from local authority, we are doing everything on our own and through private health centers.

thanks once again for your time.

Bojan

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 18:47

Hi Bogan,

They are basically all stretching and balancing exercises performed standing up holding on to a piece of furniture.As you improve the furniture is really just a safety net . 

You really need to get these from physcio as the particular injury in your dads case may mean some  of these should be avoided.

Incidentally, your father should be entitled to claim Attendance Allowance from DWP from 6 months after the incident.Its not a means tested benefit and it's tax free.

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 18:55

Hi Norman, thanks once again. He is getting exercise from physio but I was just curious to hear other people experience and how they are doing.

We are living in Serbia, so we have some different rules here...

wishing you all the best

Bojan

User
Posted 16 Jun 2022 at 19:55
Hi Bojan,
spinal cord compression has a range - if it is identified quickly and the person is hospitalised quickly enough, there is often some recovery whereas when it is only identified at crisis point, the damage is usually permanent. After all this time, there may be little hope of your dad regaining mobility, I am afraid, but you should ask his medical team for an honest assessment of what recovery they think might be achievable.

If he is paralysed, the physio exercises may be more about trying to give him some independent position management to avoid odema and pressure sores.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard