I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Clothing advice

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 08:20

Hi, my names Neil. I'm 52, diagnosed in Jan, 22, with prostate cancer (gleason 7). I'm having a prostatectomy tomorrow (Sat, June, 18th) and wondered what ideas/suggestions there are around what to wear for the car journey home?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 09:35

Neil I have had to have a catheter on numerous occasions, my personal preference is snug but not tight elasticated short type underwear, it keeps the catheter from moving around and rubbing on the penis. Get some instilagel in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore. I always smart jogging type trousers.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 16:37

Op on a Saturday, that's impressive, good luck.   

I'm pretty sure I wore the loosest clothing I have.  You will have a catheter strapped to your upper leg attached to a plastic bag strapped to your lower shin usually for around a week.

I had a plastic sheet on the car seat as well although I never leaked except when the pad overflowed on a walk in the very early days and I didn't know to take a spare pad.   

I didn't use any creams and the only trouble I had was sitting down on the toilet which sometimes pulled on the catheter which sometimes started a bit of blood going into the bag.  Take it easy for that week and try not to strain.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 19:58

OH wore jogging bottoms and we had a waterproof sheet on the bed as the catheter leaked a bit.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 20:44

As part of the RP, you have the equivalent of a vasectomy so your scrotum may be very swollen afterwards (not always). For support, underpants rather than boxer shorts, preferably one size larger than you usually wear although you may not have time to go out shopping now.

Tracksuit bottoms with a drawstring waist rather than elasticated if you can and in a dark colour.

A large bucket for the side of your bed when you get home

Dunelm sells a waterproof bed sheet which is cotton on one side so a bit cooler to sleep on and less plastic-y. If you can't get a waterproof sheet, you should be able get puppy training pads from a local pet store 

Also ask whether the hospital will send you home with some instagel or similar local anaesthetic for the eye of your penis - if not, perhaps someone can buy you some from the chemist.

While you are in, ask about catheter removal day - will the hospital send you home with a supply of incontinence pads or do they want you to buy your own to take to the hospital with you?

Edited by member 17 Jun 2022 at 20:45  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 20:51

Thanks for all your advice everyone. Pretty much got everything covered now 👍