I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When does fatigue start?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 17:05

My husband’s prostate cancer has been confirmed as advanced (slightly outside the edge of the prostate), and he has opted for MRI guided radiotherapy, so five sessions instead of the minimum of 20 with the other type of treatment.

He has had three weeks of hormone tablets & had the first hormone implant on 6th June. We have been warned that he is likely to become very tired but don’t know when to expect this to happen?

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:10

I always say to men that they need to regard exercise as mandatory on hormone therapy. I'm a cyclist anyway, but also joined a gym class. I didn't really get fatigue, and that may have been because I was exercising, or just because each person only gets some of the side effects, and I didn't get that one.

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 20:11
Whilst fatigue is a common side effect of HT the impact on lifestyle will vary considerable between each. So it's one of those wait and see. I have to be honest and say my first 12 months were not good energy wise and kicking in very early. But I look at my long term survival and still consider it to be a price I would pay again.

You hubby could be one of the lucky ones and cope well. RT is usually well tolerated.

Ray

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 22:51

Hi,

I was 60 when I had 7 weeks of RT and 65 when I had another 5 weeks. Both times I didnt find fatigue a problem, maybe slightly.

With HT the fatigue did occur but came on gradually. After 12mths I had slowed down quite a bit. Someone significantly older may be affected more quickly.

Cheers John

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 00:18

Yes the exercise is import, the fatigue creeps up on you and you lose motivation as a result. If you can keep disciplined and maintain exercise even when you feel it's getting too hard then you will cope better, lose less muscle and should retain more bone strength. Start early, if you aren't already active, it's very hard to start once you are fatigued.

Cheers John

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 09:41
I’ve just turned 55 and started injectable HT around 18 months ago. As an opposite answer I’ve only found the fatigue to be creeping up on me now tbh. I work hard on a farm and walk the dogs every day. I also do leg exercises each day such as squats and toe lifts as I feel my legs getting weaker. As above extremely important to keep active as much as possible as it is known to weaken you and cause joint pain. Good luck
User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 10:07

My late husband had hormone tablets and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. He did get a bit tired but we kept going for walks etc throughout. The most fatigue he had was when we did our hilly walk. He was breathless at the top but after a rest he recovered. If very tired, just rest for a while and allow the body time to get over it.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 18:56
Depression, can easily occur when on HT - it is not an easy time. It can be helped by a good friend, Lover or Wife - lot's of encouragement & yes, Walks & other forms of Exercise.

It does take a long time once your off the HT, to get it out of your body.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 08:27

I think it depends on the individual and the type of hormone treatment. I had 5 sessions of high intensity radiotherapy (Cyberknife) along with 2 prior injections of hormone treatment ( that are supposed to have an effect for 7 to 8 months), and I have not had any tiredness -  only slight brain fog at times.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 20:11
Whilst fatigue is a common side effect of HT the impact on lifestyle will vary considerable between each. So it's one of those wait and see. I have to be honest and say my first 12 months were not good energy wise and kicking in very early. But I look at my long term survival and still consider it to be a price I would pay again.

You hubby could be one of the lucky ones and cope well. RT is usually well tolerated.

Ray

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 22:51

Hi,

I was 60 when I had 7 weeks of RT and 65 when I had another 5 weeks. Both times I didnt find fatigue a problem, maybe slightly.

With HT the fatigue did occur but came on gradually. After 12mths I had slowed down quite a bit. Someone significantly older may be affected more quickly.

Cheers John

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:06
Thank you
User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:07

Thank you

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:10

I always say to men that they need to regard exercise as mandatory on hormone therapy. I'm a cyclist anyway, but also joined a gym class. I didn't really get fatigue, and that may have been because I was exercising, or just because each person only gets some of the side effects, and I didn't get that one.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 00:18

Yes the exercise is import, the fatigue creeps up on you and you lose motivation as a result. If you can keep disciplined and maintain exercise even when you feel it's getting too hard then you will cope better, lose less muscle and should retain more bone strength. Start early, if you aren't already active, it's very hard to start once you are fatigued.

Cheers John

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 09:41
I’ve just turned 55 and started injectable HT around 18 months ago. As an opposite answer I’ve only found the fatigue to be creeping up on me now tbh. I work hard on a farm and walk the dogs every day. I also do leg exercises each day such as squats and toe lifts as I feel my legs getting weaker. As above extremely important to keep active as much as possible as it is known to weaken you and cause joint pain. Good luck
User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 10:07

My late husband had hormone tablets and 33 sessions of radiotherapy. He did get a bit tired but we kept going for walks etc throughout. The most fatigue he had was when we did our hilly walk. He was breathless at the top but after a rest he recovered. If very tired, just rest for a while and allow the body time to get over it.

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 18:56
Depression, can easily occur when on HT - it is not an easy time. It can be helped by a good friend, Lover or Wife - lot's of encouragement & yes, Walks & other forms of Exercise.

It does take a long time once your off the HT, to get it out of your body.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 08:27

I think it depends on the individual and the type of hormone treatment. I had 5 sessions of high intensity radiotherapy (Cyberknife) along with 2 prior injections of hormone treatment ( that are supposed to have an effect for 7 to 8 months), and I have not had any tiredness -  only slight brain fog at times.