I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

urinary problems over 20 years after seeds

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 20:56

My husband is 77yrs old.  He had seeds implanted back in 1999.  The last couple of year he has had to be dialated.  The doctor is always reluctant to go to far as to not damage the sphincter.  It has gotten to the point that dilation isn't working.  Doctor is talking about I believe superpubic ?????   Is there any alternative?  Anyone know anything about an Artificial Urinary Sphincter?

Thanks in advance

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 21:46
An artificial sphincter isn't going to help with retention, it is for the opposite problem!

We have a couple of members with suprapubic catheters - your husband will probably find that his quality of life improves significantly. I take it he has tried learning to self-catheterise?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 22:35

RG, an artificial sphincter in conjunction with urethral reconstruction can solve retention issues. Not sure how it works if you still prostate. 

I had a suprapubic catheter fitted five years ago , not without its issues but I have adapted to it.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:19

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:21

Thanks!!!

yes he has been self catheterizing.  But it’s starting to not work.  My heart hurts for him right now. 

User
Posted 17 Jun 2022 at 23:40

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks!!!

yes he has been self catheterizing.  But it’s starting to not work.  My heart hurts for him right now. 

How often and with what catheter, a part number would be useful.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 02:35

It’s very offer now, every day.  Size 14 if that helps

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 10:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

It’s very offer now, every day.  Size 14 if that helps

I usually only had to use a catheter to keep the urethra open. I was give different type of catheters with different tips to try, until I found the best one to use. 

I was also given different sizes of catheter and once a day I would insert a 14, remove it and insert a 16, remove that and insert and 18 or even a 20.

If he is struggling to get the catheter in he is possibly causing a bit of inflammation and making matters worse. Gentle is the key word.

Very easy to create a false passage. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 11:28

Funny you should say that.  He said if he puts it in just the wrong way it gets hung up.  So I’m thinking that is what is increasing scar tissue.  Did you do it immediately one after another?   Thanks so much for the help. The course we took beat the cancer but now this. He seems so defeated. He’s a young 77.  But he’s got a few things like late type 2 diabetes. Has had a worse than normal back since last year.  They sent him for shots and therapy (waste) only to find out he had ruptured discs in his lower back.    Did all kinds of tests for the surgery. Then to find out his A1C is too high. Now this.  I’m a half empty type. But I am trying my best to keep him up.   Thanks again Chris xo

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 12:17

Yes , the bigger size went in straight after the smaller one. I used a tiemann tip catheter that has a slight angle, it helped get round the bends. When it was at the bladder opening a slight rotation would help get it through the hole.

How many dilatations has he had ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 18 Jun 2022 at 23:23

Oh quite a few.  Last time had to have it done in the hospital.   And it didn’t las at all. Thanks so much for all the help. So much appreciated ❤️

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 08:23

Hi Chris...was just reading over your latest posts and note you also have a supra pubic catheter. As my hubby has recently had one fitted for  prostate tumour stricture can you give us any tips about  best type of wound dressing as still having a moist discharge around site.  Not infected.  Also can you give me any further info re vaccine trial that you were enrolled on in May 2021. I wish you well with your further test results as this prostate cancer joyrney is a very complex and stressful journey gor all. Take care. ANN

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 09:30

Ann, apart from the first few days after the catheter was fitted, I have never had a dressing on the wound/site. The site did get infected when first fitted and they struggled to get the temporary stitch out. It is now over five years since I had the need for a SPC and I have only had a few minor infections. The site always has a little bit of gunge around the catheter, I just wash around the area and rinse it off in the shower. I have on the odd occasion had a swab taken and tested. Might be worth him having a urine test. I have occasionally got a rash around the area and been given some cream.

If you do Facebook there is a urology and catheter support site that is quite good. There is also a SPC site but I left that one. I am always happy to answer any questions I can.

The trial failed world wide with no proof that the vaccine was any better than the placebo. They are still analysing data and hopefully the full report will reveal what went wrong. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Jun 2022 at 09:42

Hi Chris thanks so much for such a prompt reply....your information on spc site invaluable..we will leave off dressing and see how it goes. Will also check out site on Facebook.  Just think hubby likes the protection of dressing and worried re Infection. Also thanks for update re vaccine outcome...hopefully in time a vaccine  will be available. 

Regards Ann

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 17:29

Hi Chris 

Can I ask you how often do you change A SPC and do you do it yourself

regards barry

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 20:58

Barry, I have mine changed every 8 weeks, I don't think I would feel comfortable doing it myself. If you can't get the new one back in you have about an hour to get a new fitted by whoever, district nurses, urology nurses, urology doctor etc. I was told never have a suprapubic catheter changed on a Friday afternoon.  When I had my first one permanently removed it took about five minutes for the hole to close and not leak urine. 

They should be changed every 12 weeks max. The more frequently they are changed the more risk there is of infections.

Thanks Chris