I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Body hair loss

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 15:20

Hi everyone :) I’m looking for a little advice or reassurance if possible OH had radiotherapy in December (35 sessions) along with two injections of decapeptyl ( 3 months each) and 4 week course of casodex as salvage treatment for his prostatectomy that he had in 2016, the treatment went well and the last blood results were good but in the last few weeks his body hair has started falling out is this normal so long after treatment has stopped? He has been told by his gp it is but his clinical nurse has said it’s nothing to do with his treatment 🤷‍♀️ He’s also had terrible body aches and pain since treatment and obviously is more tired than he was wether to do with the treatment or his emotional health it just doesn’t seem to be lifting, he skis still had his hot flushes which he has been told will take a long time to settle. I’m not sure what to do to help I’ve got the sage tablets for the hot flushes but the body hair loss so long after  treatment I must admit has come as a bit of a shock for both of us… I know in the grand scheme of things it’s trivial really just looking for some reassurance that it does happen 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 18:05
I think I would be asking for a testosterone test just to see what's happening - the HT stops production and it isn't necessarily the case that the body starts making it again immediately.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 21:38

In his case, it sounds like they just wanted it low for some months beforehand (neoadjuvant hormone therapy) and during the radiotherapy (concurrent hormone therapy). So on the basis that they've taken him off hormone therapy now, they expect his Testosterone to return, but it takes a while before it switches back on (and when it does, it's quite sudden).

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 22:15

I had been on HT for two years; three months after the HT ran out nothing was stirring. So I told the GP the hospital wanted to monitor my testosterone. I might have got the testosterone test without lying, and I'm sure that the hospital probably would have liked to monitor it, so it isn't really a lie, it's just no one asked the hospital.

Anyway can't remember the exact numbers but at three months it was very low same at six months but then shot up at nine months.

In most people erections and libido correlate with testosterone, of course RP may have ended the erections years ago and some people maintain libido when on HT. So not a guaranteed way of knowing if he has testosterone.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 15:49

Two factors here...

The radiotherapy usually causes loss of body hair where the beam goes through the skin. That's a band around the body from the navel down to the base of the penis. This typically starts about 4 weeks after RT starts. About 8 weeks after the RT finishes, it will probably start regrowing, but apparently it doesn't always regrow.

Hormone therapy will cause loss of body hair acquired at puberty from all over the body. This starts around 4 months on HT. Pubes and beard take a long time (years) to be significantly affected, but will grow slower. On the other hand, male pattern baldness may reverse on hormone therapy and hair regrow there. Hair will regrow after HT finishes when testosterone returns, but that can take a long time depending which HT drugs were used and for how long.

He should have a Testosterone test to find out what his level is. Hot flushes are often the last side effect to go, and might not be directly related to testosterone levels.

If he was on Tamoxifen, that can also cause hair loss (including hair on the head), but usually only at higher doses than used with prostate cancer hormone therapy.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 15:54

I'm as hairy as a gorilla.  During my hormone therapy, 90% of my body hair fell out.  I hated it.  It just didn't look like me.

The salvage radiotherapy led to bald patches in my pubic hair.

Once the treatments stopped, the hair came back.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 15:57

Just to be clear, he had the RT and the decapeptyl, and casodex all on or since December 21. And I'm assuming he will be having some more decapeptyl taking him up to a year or two of HT. If this is the case I'm not too surprised his body hair has gone. It can take a few months for the side effects to come and go. The clinical nurse I would have thought would have been of the same opinion? Body aches also could be a result of the change in testosterone.

You can pretty much view these changes as similar to puberty, perhaps a reverse of puberty or the menopause. There is a lot of adjustment happening in the body so it may take along time. Similarly when he comes of HT it may be a while to get back to normal. It took me nine months before I had an erection.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 16:25

Hi he had his first injection end of August  then the second in December only the two injections each one lasting three months while he had his radiotherapy which ended the middle December 👍no more hormone therapy going forward just the 6 months of treatment while having radiotherapy but it’s only this last month he’s noticed the loss/ thinning of body hair, I suppose if it had happened sooner we would have expected it 

Edited by member 20 Jun 2022 at 16:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 16:26

He too was as hairy as a gorilla :) which is why it’s been a bit if a shock especially when he was thinking things should be getting better 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 16:45

Ok, thanks for clarifying the time lines. I guess it is a bit surprising then. He wasn't really on HT long enough to cause many bodily change, so the side effects of going on and then coming off HT should be minimal. But I can't think of a more likely cause.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 16:57

Thank you for your reply :) I suppose you just want someone to say “oh yeah I had a delayed reaction too” just to feel like you’re not going a little mad :) 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 18:05
I think I would be asking for a testosterone test just to see what's happening - the HT stops production and it isn't necessarily the case that the body starts making it again immediately.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 18:11

So, his HT ran out in April. It takes some months for Testosterone to return after this, so quite likely he still has no Testosterone. After HT finishes, it's useful to get Testosterone tests with his PSA tests until Testosterone has returned to a stable level, so you better understand what's going on.

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 18:55

Hi again all :) thank you again for all your suggestions .. the gp has done bloods and was pleased that his PSA was down but never really mentioned anything else other than his uric acid as he has gout bad so I must suggest he asks his doctor for a testosterone check BUT don’t they want the testosterone to stay as low as possible or is that just during the radiotherapy? 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 21:38

In his case, it sounds like they just wanted it low for some months beforehand (neoadjuvant hormone therapy) and during the radiotherapy (concurrent hormone therapy). So on the basis that they've taken him off hormone therapy now, they expect his Testosterone to return, but it takes a while before it switches back on (and when it does, it's quite sudden).

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 21:53

thank you so much for the explanation it’s really helped to make sense of it all 👍👍I’m not sure if the gp will be up for doing a testosterone test but I will get him to mention it on his next visit 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2022 at 22:15

I had been on HT for two years; three months after the HT ran out nothing was stirring. So I told the GP the hospital wanted to monitor my testosterone. I might have got the testosterone test without lying, and I'm sure that the hospital probably would have liked to monitor it, so it isn't really a lie, it's just no one asked the hospital.

Anyway can't remember the exact numbers but at three months it was very low same at six months but then shot up at nine months.

In most people erections and libido correlate with testosterone, of course RP may have ended the erections years ago and some people maintain libido when on HT. So not a guaranteed way of knowing if he has testosterone.

Dave