Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello New to this forum

User
Posted 23 Jun 2022 at 23:44

Hi,

I am 51 and in about March 2021 my GP recommended that I have a PSA test done after I was experiencing some urinary problems.  The PSA test came back as 3.24 which was only a little higher than it should of been for my age as far as I am aware but GP called me in for a (DRE) he said prostate felt ok but still made an urgent 2 week referral to the urologist, and I got an appointment (Phone call) with the consultant a few weeks later. 

The consultant asked for a repeat of the PSA and also booked me for an MRI which I had in June 2021.  The PSA came back slightly higher again around 3.48 and the MRI revealed that my prostate was around 19cc in size (normal size I think) but they did find a lesion in the lower right posterior lobe but still contained within the prostate (PI-RADS 3).  The consultant recommended that I continue with PSA monitoring and that is what happened for around the next 10 months with my PSA rising 3 more times and reaching 4.84 in January 2022. 

The consultant order another PSA test in March 2022 but this time it fell to 4.27 but this time as I was experiencing pain in my groin and hip I had an in person appointment with my consultant in April 2022, and he told me that he wanted to repeat the MRI to see if the lesion was still there ( which I though was a bit of an odd thing to say as I didn't know that lesions could just disappear without treatment). He also said that if there was a worsening or and changes from the previous MRI then I would need a TRUS biopsy. 

I had the second MRI on the 17th May and one week later had a phone call from the Xray department asking me to go for a biopsy 3 days later.   I couldn't attend date given but had biopsy on 10th June.  The thing I am worried  about is that I haven't been given results of second MRI but from what consultant said I wouldn't have had biopsy unless there had been chances I asked at the biopsy appointment and all I was told was it was still abnormal (it wasn't my consultant that did the biopsy).  I phoned the consultants secretary a few days ago to see when I would get the results and she told me that there were taking about 6 weeks to be reported on but asked for my hospital number to check my record and said oh yours are back already and there are having a team meeting about you tomorrow (21st June) the following day I received a letter tell me to attend appointment on 7th of July for results. 

Should I be worried that results have come back this quick or that they seem a bit reluctant to tell me my MRI results?

Sorry for the long message.

Stu 

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 07:58
No point worrying until you know for certain but clearly something is going on. Key now is finding out what and don't accept what they say without questioning their logic.
User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 08:49

I would say not to over worry Stu, there may have been a slight change and with you experiencing a bit of pain they will want to rule cancer in or out.

My husband was in a similar situation, he had his MRI on a Sunday (after PSA rise to 8.3), he was told if the results were PIrads 4 or 5 he would be asked to go for biopsy. With no results given he received a phone call on the Friday to book him in for a nuclear bone scan!! (This had never been mentioned) He had aches and pains around his groin area too and other places in his body so I immediately panicked, thought that was it and completely fell apart. The following Tuesday still no results, I managed to speak (couldn’t get many words out) to a secretary where I completely broke down and said I needed to know what the results of the MRI showed as I hadn’t eaten or slept for 5 days. I had a phone call from the consultant within 5 minutes who confirmed it was a PIrads 5 (which I kind of expected) and the bone scan was arranged because something low grade had been seen on his pelvis. So although this wasn’t perfect news it was so far removed from the few weeks I thought I might have left with my husband.

It’s so natural to always think the worst, and things are often not as bad as they appear. It would remove so much of the stress if they could give you results first before moving onto another stage keeping you in the dark!

Fingers crossed everything has remained ok for you Stu, keep us posted.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 13:17

Always a difficult decision Stu. I think surgery is often recommended because of your age and because they believe they can get it all.

My husband opted for surgery, he’s much older than you and they didn’t think they would get it all but he just wanted the bulk of it out and then deal with the rest, even with the risk of double side effects. 

Thankfully his surgery and recovery went well, 6 months on and he is completely dry and has been for sometime. He does have ED but he was given 6 months HT before his op so he hasn’t had much interest in doing anything about it. Testosterone has just started to rise and libido reappearing which is good news. His PSA is undetectable at the moment so no further treatment needed yet.

Everyone is different with treatments so I can only tell you of our experience, we do have a couple of friends who have gone through it also and recovered well. 

You’re doing the right thing speaking with all the experts in their field and then hopefully it will make it easier to decide what is the best for you. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 14:38
I have responded on your other thread Stu
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 10:30

Glad you’ve got your appointment Stu.

And great that you’re able to help out with some research too 👍

User
Posted 14 Sep 2022 at 06:17

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

User
Posted 24 Sep 2022 at 13:41

Had my surgery Friday 16th. I was told that I would loose some urine and blood when emptying my bowls. In fact there was an occasional drip of blood throughout the day. Day four I noted this had stopped.

The first few days I felt pretty dreadful, by day six though I had turned a corner. Fortunately I was treated as a day case so had home comforts.

You can only take a day at a time.

Kind Regards

Jim

User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 06:43
Don't let him get away with that at your next appointment Stu, yes the incontinence is more important now but ED is up there too!!
User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 17:05

What kind of chemotherapy did you receive (locally in the bladder or was it the protocol MVAC  ?). From the TURBT result is it a muscle invasive cancer or a non muscle-invasive cancer ? The treatment is very different for the two diseases. One of my colleague (also a doctor) has been is the same boat as you: prostate cancer and few weeks later as he could not pee he had a cystoscopy which revealed bladder cancer. For my husband it was quite another story: in two years he had two MRI and 2 ou 3 series of prostate biopsies. No prostate cancer. It was a muscle invasive bladder cancer (the urologist did not think of this type of cancer because my husband never smoked and has very healthy life). The problem  is that bladder cancer is hard to detect (unless large enough) when the bladder is empty on imaging focusing on the prostate

Best wishes

Catherine

Edited by member 13 Feb 2024 at 17:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 21:15

Very good new as it is a G2 tumor and not a G3. Local treatment is likely to eradicate the tumor. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat it but it's quite manageable.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 07:58
No point worrying until you know for certain but clearly something is going on. Key now is finding out what and don't accept what they say without questioning their logic.
User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 08:49

I would say not to over worry Stu, there may have been a slight change and with you experiencing a bit of pain they will want to rule cancer in or out.

My husband was in a similar situation, he had his MRI on a Sunday (after PSA rise to 8.3), he was told if the results were PIrads 4 or 5 he would be asked to go for biopsy. With no results given he received a phone call on the Friday to book him in for a nuclear bone scan!! (This had never been mentioned) He had aches and pains around his groin area too and other places in his body so I immediately panicked, thought that was it and completely fell apart. The following Tuesday still no results, I managed to speak (couldn’t get many words out) to a secretary where I completely broke down and said I needed to know what the results of the MRI showed as I hadn’t eaten or slept for 5 days. I had a phone call from the consultant within 5 minutes who confirmed it was a PIrads 5 (which I kind of expected) and the bone scan was arranged because something low grade had been seen on his pelvis. So although this wasn’t perfect news it was so far removed from the few weeks I thought I might have left with my husband.

It’s so natural to always think the worst, and things are often not as bad as they appear. It would remove so much of the stress if they could give you results first before moving onto another stage keeping you in the dark!

Fingers crossed everything has remained ok for you Stu, keep us posted.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 12:30

Thanks for the comments, I think the worst part is not knowing what is going on, with them already telling me I had a lesion from the first MRI why not just tell me if this has spread.  If they told me what was going at least I would be able to try and process this and try and deal with it.  Also forgot to mention that on my one blood test they mention my free PSA level which was 13 but not sure what this means.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 12:30

Well I wouldn't be worried, because there is no point in worrying about things you can't control. I suspect there is enough evidence to say you have cancer, but not enough to suggest it needs treating immediately. So the MDT will want to work out some options.

I think that if you have PCa it has been caught very early, if you are lucky it can be ignored for a few years, if not a focal treatment may be possible, which means very few side effects. Of course surgery and radiotherapy may be on the cards, with possible side effects, but let's not worry about that until we know exactly what you have got.

Dave

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 14:19

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks for the comments, I think the worst part is not knowing what is going on, with them already telling me I had a lesion from the first MRI why not just tell me if this has spread.  If they told me what was going at least I would be able to try and process this and try and deal with it.  Also forgot to mention that on my one blood test they mention my free PSA level which was 13 but not sure what this means.

The point is that a lesion is not necessarily cancer - it could be infection, inflammation, bruising all of which may not be present the next time you have a scan. What is being referred to as a 'lesion' can just be a grey area. It seems that following your previous equivocal MRI scan, the urologist was of the view that it was more likely to one of these benign causes rather than cancer - hence not recommending a biopsy. Now they have a different view - not necessarily that the lesion has changed, perhaps, but just that it is still there! 

Your free PSA of 13% gives you a 28% chance of having prostate cancer so biopsy is definitely a good idea

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Jun 2022 at 17:59

Thanks for the comments I think my main issue is that in my last letter from the consultant he said he would only do the the biopsy if there was a worsening or changes since the last MRI, so the fact that he has asked for the biopsy must mean there have been changes.  I think he should of discussed these changes with me before the biopsy so I could of made an informed decision about if I wanted the biopsy or not. If he told me there was no change and with the PSA level falling I probably would of continued with monitoring and not had the biopsy.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 19:36

Today I had my appointment with my consultant to discuss my biopsy results, I have been diagnosed with T2c, N0, M0.  Gleason score 7(3+4) PSA 4.27 6 of 12 samples taken had cancer.  Consultant gave me a choice of 3 treatments, RP, RT with HT and Brachytherapy.  Not sure which is my best option but consultant has recommended the surgery option due to my age as this would give me best outcome.  The Brachytherapy would mean having to go to Leeds so not sure I want to go for that option.  I am now awaiting an appointment with Radiologist and Surgeon to discuss my options.  I know it is my decision but any thoughts on what might be the best way to go would be appreciated.

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 21:21

Same results as mine except my PSA is 8.7.

Treatments offered same. Urologist, Uro-oncology Nurse and Surgeon (who discussed all options including focal) all recommended surgery because of age (52). 

Still awaiting date for surgery which will be day surgery avoiding overnight stay.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 06:33
I've never heard of anyone having an RP as a day case. Are you sure about that?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 10:13

Hi Chris,

Yep absolutely sure. Even received a follow up letter to confirm. 

Depends on your age and fitness.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 13:17

Always a difficult decision Stu. I think surgery is often recommended because of your age and because they believe they can get it all.

My husband opted for surgery, he’s much older than you and they didn’t think they would get it all but he just wanted the bulk of it out and then deal with the rest, even with the risk of double side effects. 

Thankfully his surgery and recovery went well, 6 months on and he is completely dry and has been for sometime. He does have ED but he was given 6 months HT before his op so he hasn’t had much interest in doing anything about it. Testosterone has just started to rise and libido reappearing which is good news. His PSA is undetectable at the moment so no further treatment needed yet.

Everyone is different with treatments so I can only tell you of our experience, we do have a couple of friends who have gone through it also and recovered well. 

You’re doing the right thing speaking with all the experts in their field and then hopefully it will make it easier to decide what is the best for you. 

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 14:38
I have responded on your other thread Stu

User
Posted 29 Jul 2022 at 13:10

I have now had my appointments with the surgeon and oncologist and both feel that surgery would be my best option, so I am booked in for robotic assisted RP on the 19th Sept, I have also been put forward to take part in a research study being conducted by Nottingham University on the impact of short-term exercise programs on mitochondrial activity in prostate cancer patients. 

User
Posted 29 Jul 2022 at 18:04

Think yourself lucky to have been seen so quickly and been given a date for surgery. I saw the surgeon mid June and still no date. It's a postcode lottery and I suspect that your postcode is not too far from mine.

My mistake being put off using my private health insurance, should have not listened to my GP...

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 09:27

I am having my surgery at the Royal Derby Hospital, I could of had surgery even earlier at the beginning of September but the surgeon is on leave and comes back on the date of my op, but he did also say I could have it done later in the year if I wanted as there was no rush to get it done.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 10:30

Glad you’ve got your appointment Stu.

And great that you’re able to help out with some research too 👍

User
Posted 13 Sep 2022 at 19:37

Had my post op appointment today, all went ok apart from I have to do a sleep study tonight to check for possible sleep apnoea as my BMI is above 35 just have to use a SpO2 monitor overnight and return to hospital tomorrow. I have an online appointment tomorrow with urology nurse and was meant to be having covid test on Friday, but guidance has changed and no longer required but still have to self-isolate until I go into hospital at 7am on Monday morning for my RARP.

User
Posted 14 Sep 2022 at 06:17

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

User
Posted 24 Sep 2022 at 12:44

Back from hospital yesterday after my RARP on Monday ended up being in for 4 nights.  Due to complications, I was in theatre for 5 1/2 hours and recovery for another 6 1/2 hours.  Also having problems with blood and clots passing down the side of the catheter mainly when I need to empty my bowels anyone else had this?  The way I feel right now I am beginning to regret my choice of treatment.  Hoping I will feel better once the catheter is taken out on Wednesday. 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2022 at 13:41

Had my surgery Friday 16th. I was told that I would loose some urine and blood when emptying my bowls. In fact there was an occasional drip of blood throughout the day. Day four I noted this had stopped.

The first few days I felt pretty dreadful, by day six though I had turned a corner. Fortunately I was treated as a day case so had home comforts.

You can only take a day at a time.

Kind Regards

Jim

User
Posted 03 Nov 2022 at 23:40

It has been 6 weeks now since my RARP went to see my surgeon yesterday to find out the histology results.  There are no changes to the original diagnosis from the TRUS biopsy, Gleason 7 3+4, T2c N0, M0. Clear margins although he did say it cancer was very close to the edge of the prostate.  I haven't had a PSA test yet as my surgeon said he doesn't like to do them until 4 months after the op I was expecting to have one before my appointment.  I asked about nerve sparring, and he said that during the op he thought the right-side nerves were compromised so removed them and only able to save a few on the left.  I mention the ED to him, and he didn't seem interested I wasn't prescribed anything I assume as he thought I wasn't worth it with how few nerves were left so not sure what this means for my ED going forward.  He told me to only focus on the incontinence, which isn't great at the moment.

User
Posted 04 Nov 2022 at 06:43
Don't let him get away with that at your next appointment Stu, yes the incontinence is more important now but ED is up there too!!
User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 16:10

So after over 12 months of telling my consultant that something didn't feel right after my RP and I was still having pain following the surgery he finally agreed to do a Flexi cystoscopy to see if I had a stricture and to see if this was causing my pain and discomfort.  They didn't find a stricture but did find a tumor in my bladder I have since had a TURBT procedure to remove the tumor followed by chemotherapy and have been diagnosed with bladder cancer.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with bladder cancer after there diagnosis of prostate cancer.  Also the bladder cancer is a second primary cancer and not a secondary cancer from the prostate.  Now waiting on CT scan results to see if there is anything else they may have missed I have been waiting 3 weeks now and getting very anxious about the results.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 17:05

What kind of chemotherapy did you receive (locally in the bladder or was it the protocol MVAC  ?). From the TURBT result is it a muscle invasive cancer or a non muscle-invasive cancer ? The treatment is very different for the two diseases. One of my colleague (also a doctor) has been is the same boat as you: prostate cancer and few weeks later as he could not pee he had a cystoscopy which revealed bladder cancer. For my husband it was quite another story: in two years he had two MRI and 2 ou 3 series of prostate biopsies. No prostate cancer. It was a muscle invasive bladder cancer (the urologist did not think of this type of cancer because my husband never smoked and has very healthy life). The problem  is that bladder cancer is hard to detect (unless large enough) when the bladder is empty on imaging focusing on the prostate

Best wishes

Catherine

Edited by member 13 Feb 2024 at 17:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 17:54

Yes just locally direct into bladder straight after the TURBT diagnosed a non muscle invasive Ta Grade 2.  Prostate Cancer was T2c.  Got my PSA blood test at the end of this month and another flexi scope into bladder in March and again 6 months after that.  Just said no further treatment for the bladder cancer at the moment but just regular check ups.  They asked for a CT scan as I am still having pain and discomfort just checking in case they have missed anything else.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2024 at 21:15

Very good new as it is a G2 tumor and not a G3. Local treatment is likely to eradicate the tumor. Sometimes it's necessary to repeat it but it's quite manageable.