Please can someone tell me ,
Do you go to hospital to get a SUPRAPUBIC CATHETER changed,
and how often,
Or do you do it yourself

Regards Barry

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:13

Hello Barry

I am a retired District Nurse.  Suprapubic catheter change is something that I  performed regularly in a patients home. If my memory serves me right it was approx 3 monthly.

Recent community changes in some areas mean that some services have been withdrawn. However I have been informed that my former team are still doing this. 

Hope this helps. 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:38

Barry, the catheters I use are licensed to be in situ for up to 12 weeks. The first suprapubic catheter had a temporary stitch to hold it in place for a few days. My first SPC was changed at the urology department of my hospital. The first SPC had a microbial coating. At the start of having the catheter I could go 12 weeks between changes. I now have my catheter changed every 8 weeks and I know at the end of 7 weeks I am ready for a change. 

The district nurse changes mine at a catheter clinic in a district health centre. My bladder is very small so I prefer not to do it myself. Some changes are absolutely pain free some can be uncomfortable. I take a couple of painkillers before the appointment and drink plenty of water. Removing the catheter is the worst part if it gets stuck,the nurse pulling the catheter doesn't feel that pain, if you were pulling it out yourself you might keep stopping. 

Remember you only have short period of time to get a SPC back in before the hole starts to heal, the time given seems to vary from 30 minutes to an hour. My urologist said never have a SPC routinely changed on a Friday afternoon.

My district nurses would change my catheter at home but I prefer the clinical environment. It is probably easier for the DN to do the change on a treatment table rather than a low bed, Grantia ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:50

Yes Chris, you are right. A treatment table is easier on the back than a low bed, although not all home beds are low. The clinic is ideal for both nurse and patient if you are able to get there. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:13

Hello Barry

I am a retired District Nurse.  Suprapubic catheter change is something that I  performed regularly in a patients home. If my memory serves me right it was approx 3 monthly.

Recent community changes in some areas mean that some services have been withdrawn. However I have been informed that my former team are still doing this. 

Hope this helps. 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:38

Barry, the catheters I use are licensed to be in situ for up to 12 weeks. The first suprapubic catheter had a temporary stitch to hold it in place for a few days. My first SPC was changed at the urology department of my hospital. The first SPC had a microbial coating. At the start of having the catheter I could go 12 weeks between changes. I now have my catheter changed every 8 weeks and I know at the end of 7 weeks I am ready for a change. 

The district nurse changes mine at a catheter clinic in a district health centre. My bladder is very small so I prefer not to do it myself. Some changes are absolutely pain free some can be uncomfortable. I take a couple of painkillers before the appointment and drink plenty of water. Removing the catheter is the worst part if it gets stuck,the nurse pulling the catheter doesn't feel that pain, if you were pulling it out yourself you might keep stopping. 

Remember you only have short period of time to get a SPC back in before the hole starts to heal, the time given seems to vary from 30 minutes to an hour. My urologist said never have a SPC routinely changed on a Friday afternoon.

My district nurses would change my catheter at home but I prefer the clinical environment. It is probably easier for the DN to do the change on a treatment table rather than a low bed, Grantia ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 13:50

Yes Chris, you are right. A treatment table is easier on the back than a low bed, although not all home beds are low. The clinic is ideal for both nurse and patient if you are able to get there. 

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 17:08

Thank you all so much for you replies

regards Barry

Edited by member 27 Jun 2022 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified