I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise causes

User
Posted 27 Jun 2022 at 19:18

I have been told my PSA has risen to 3.2 after radiotherapy ten years ago and being told I was cured five years ago. I've since had a right hemicolectomy and suffer with dehydration on and off and constipation.Does anyone know if there is a potential correlation between the rise in my PSA and those conditions? Thanks

User
Posted 28 Jun 2022 at 00:05

Why did you have the right hemicolectomy? Was it damaged by radiotherapy? The large intestine is involved in extracting water from food, so anything which effects the large intestine is likely to cause problems with hydration, and constipation.

The PSA of 3.2 suggests the cancer has returned, but where is it? It may still be in the prostate or may have spread to the bones or other organs. I believe a PSMA PET scan is the best way to find where it is. It may be in your bowels but that would be a little unusual for prostate cancer.

What the next treatment will be the medics will have to decide, at some point it will probably be HT.

I don't think it is ever appropriate to use the phrase cured after cancer treatment. You can hope to be cured you may be cured, but you will never know until you die of something else.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jun 2022 at 01:15
If not already being monitored by the oncologist, you need to be referred back to them. Your PSA cannot be explained by anything other than you have some active prostate cancer somewhere in your body. With a PSA of 3.2, I am not sure that you need to hold out for a PSMA scan if there are delays or difficulty accessing this in your area - a choline PET scan and a bone scan may be quicker and just as effective. But certainly, see what scans the oncologist recommends.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard