I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

6 Weeks Post Surgery Sex

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 20:49

I had my first meeting post surgery with the andrologist today. He went through a questionnaire with me over the phone, like erection, how often I have had sex, erection since surgery. Finally, he offered 4 options as regards kick starting things down there, tablets (100mg), pump, injection and surgery. I went for the tablet for now, and we will see how it goes. What shocked me the most from our conversation was the fact that only 10% of men will only be able to have a meaningful erection after prostate surgery without help! This is regardless of nerve sparring. I was astounded. This means majority of men after surgery would have to rely on tablets to for ever. Just surprised, this was not communicated to me in all the consultations before my surgery.

Also wondered, whether 100mg of this sex enhancer was not too dangerous.

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 23:05

I'm not sure his figures are correct - I seem to recall it's something like 70% of men will need some help. Also, it depends how long after we're talking about.

100mg will be Sildenafil - it's the max dose.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 00:40

He is quoting the BAUS / NHS statistics - only 10% of men regain natural erections firm enough for penetration within 12 months. A higher percentage can get a semi.

Shame that he didn't offer you the pump and the injections - the pump is really important for keeping your penis healthy.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2022 at 00:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 12:48

The 8 tries is standard for PDE5 inhibitors, i.e. you need to have tried them 8 times before you can say they don't work (unless they cause unacceptable side effects). It's very common they don't work first time, probably because of the stress of expectation.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 23:05

I'm not sure his figures are correct - I seem to recall it's something like 70% of men will need some help. Also, it depends how long after we're talking about.

100mg will be Sildenafil - it's the max dose.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 00:40

He is quoting the BAUS / NHS statistics - only 10% of men regain natural erections firm enough for penetration within 12 months. A higher percentage can get a semi.

Shame that he didn't offer you the pump and the injections - the pump is really important for keeping your penis healthy.

Edited by member 30 Jun 2022 at 00:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 11:58

Just that he was so matter of fact, that only 10% of men even with sparring on both sides would be able to get an erection naturally. It is too late to cry over it now, one can only look forward to the future, rather than spend time thinking maybe I could have chosen a less radical treatment option.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 12:42

He did actually offer me all 4 options from the tablets to the surgery. I thought it was best to start from the tablets and see how it goes. He also said, it sometimes takes up to 8 attempts for the tablets to kick in and not to get despondent. Just waiting for the prescription to be sent through to my GP Surgery.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 12:48

The 8 tries is standard for PDE5 inhibitors, i.e. you need to have tried them 8 times before you can say they don't work (unless they cause unacceptable side effects). It's very common they don't work first time, probably because of the stress of expectation.