I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am I doing this right?

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 23:04

I’ve just had my second day without the catheter following my surgery and I’m not sure if I’m doing the pelvic floor exercises right.

When the catheter was removed My flow tests looked alright and I was peeing freely through the day.

Today however, it’s been dribbles and I have been leaking quite a bit during the day.

I started my exercises so I wonder why I haven’t been able to pee properly. Am I being impatient? Is it that I’m not drinking enough water?

Cheers

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 00:31

Your technique for pelvic floor exercises is a bit irrelevant at this stage - you have had one urinary sphincter removed and the other re-positioned so your brain has to relearn how to read the signals as well as control those muscles. In the immediate aftermath of an RP, our urologist described bladder control as similar to trying to keep water in a sieve.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 11:19

I leaked during the day after my catheter was removed ( I was 95% or so incontinent the first 4 hours after removal; which then improved to around 75% incontinent) and only improved from around 75% incontinent after 4/5 weeks. It then gradually improved and after around 10 weeks I became 99.99% continent- only leaking when I lifted something very heavy.

The important thing is to keep drinking loads of water and not get put off by the leakage. Flushing the system is very important.

Ivan

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 00:26

Hi omo, I can't compare my experience directly to yours. I had brachytherapy and when the catheter was removed after one day (no stitches to heal) I peed ok at first but within a few hours couldn't go. I had a catheter back in for just under a week as a result. If you are getting urine out even if it is unintentional leaking then you are not at risk of kidney problems so I would try and get on with recovery. If you can't pee then you may need a catheter again and that needs to be done fairly soon a trip to A and E may be required.

I haven't looked but I'm sure you can find videos on YouTube about how to do pelvic floor exercises.

Dave

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 00:31

Your technique for pelvic floor exercises is a bit irrelevant at this stage - you have had one urinary sphincter removed and the other re-positioned so your brain has to relearn how to read the signals as well as control those muscles. In the immediate aftermath of an RP, our urologist described bladder control as similar to trying to keep water in a sieve.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 07:53

Thanks Lyn and Dave, I’ve upped my water intake and it seems to have done the trick regarding the waterworks. I’ll keep an eye on the leaking and check out YouTube for some videos.

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 11:19

I leaked during the day after my catheter was removed ( I was 95% or so incontinent the first 4 hours after removal; which then improved to around 75% incontinent) and only improved from around 75% incontinent after 4/5 weeks. It then gradually improved and after around 10 weeks I became 99.99% continent- only leaking when I lifted something very heavy.

The important thing is to keep drinking loads of water and not get put off by the leakage. Flushing the system is very important.

Ivan