I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA level worries

User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 23:45

My hubby who is 59 was diagnosed with PC last April after finding blood in his semen once! He had a rp in June 2021 and made a good recovery. His psa levels Post op were 0.01, 0.04, 0.08 and then his last one was 3.3. We thought there had been some mistake with his bloods. Anyway he had further tests at hospital and his bloods were deffo 3.3. He had to have a bone scan and CT. Results came in on Monday that all that had showed on the scans was a inconclusive area on his spine. We were really upset about this and are thinking it's spread to his back. The doc has said it could be an old injury or arthritis so he has to have an xray of the area which is suspicious. He doesn't have any pain in his back. We just don't know how he can have gone from being undetectable psa to having something on his spine in 4 months? We are just waiting for an appointment for his xray. It's a horrible, worrying time 🙄.

Sandy

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 07:57

You don't know that it has spread to his back. With a PSA of 3 it seems unlikely that it has, so don't get too stressed about it. Waiting for results is hard, but try not to assume the worst.

There's definitely been a recurrence (which happens to about 1 in 3 men who have an RP), but this is usually due to cancer cells in the prostate bed and is sorted by radiotherapy with a very high degree of success.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 01 Jul 2022 at 09:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 08:49

Sorry to hear this.

What sort of scan was it?

A PET scan would be useful. At that level with no prostate, even a choline PET scan is likely to work, but a PSMA PET scan would be more sensitive providing his cancer cells generate PSMA.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 20:04

Hi

He had a bone scan and a full body CT scan where he drank the liquid prior to the scan. Just waiting for a PET scan now.

Also, please can I ask if the full body scan would have covered his throat as he is paranoid there is something there and says he struggles to swallow sometimes. He has a hiatus hernia so I think this is the problem but he's really worried about his throat.

Thanks.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:00

A CT scan where you drink a contrast dye doesn't sound like a typical prostate cancer scan - it's more likely a GI tract scan. For a prostate CT scan, they will sometimes use an injected contrast dye.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:10

Sandy,  when I got my appointment for a PSMA scan a few weeks ago I went into panic mode because it was described as a half body scan. A quick call revealed the scan would be from the top of the skull down to the middle of the thighs.  My previous CT with contrast scans were described as thorax abdomen pelvis scans, not sure that thorax includes the throat, but full body sounds quite comprehensive.

What was his original PSA, are we sure the last  result was not 0.33. How far apart were the two 3.3 tests, it would seem strange for there to be a rapid rise and then stay the same. Having said that my own PSA does fluctuate. 

My last CT scan was an injected tracer but I was given a jug of water to drink.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 03 Jul 2022 at 21:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:16

Hi Chris

Yes, he had water to drink.and also liquid through a canular.

His psa's were 0.01, 0.02, 0.08 and then 3.3 three months later. We were sure there must have been a mistake but we presume he had the same reading at Christies as they never told us any different. Just ordered scans etc.

Thanks.

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

A CT scan where you drink a contrast dye doesn't sound like a typical prostate cancer scan - it's more likely a GI tract scan. For a prostate CT scan, they will sometimes use an injected contrast dye.

I just had a CT scan for kidney. I was given a litre of fluid before the scan, but this was just water to fill the bladder. The contrast was injected after the first scan through a cannula, then wait seven minutes for second scan. Total time about 20 minutes.

Years ago I had a GI tract scan, with a drink before hand, that was barium I think.

Edit: Hi Sandy, just seen your post.

Edited by member 03 Jul 2022 at 21:25  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:30

Sandy, what was his PSA before surgery, how far apart were the two 3.3 tests ?

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 22:04

Hi Chris

Psa before surgery was 2.3. It was about two weeks between the 3.3 readings.

Thanks.

Sandy

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 23:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Chris

Psa before surgery was 2.3. It was about two weeks between the 3.3 readings.

Thanks.

Sandy

Hopefully the scholars will understand you results. Perhaps a bit more detail Gleason score , histology, original staging T** etc.

Thanks Chris