I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fish oil or krill oil

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 09:37

Hi,been reading a  lot regarding fish oil and prostate cancer don't know what to think, I have been using krill oil for a while now, some say its good some say not, I know its helpful for the arthritis in my hip,but after reading some negative things on canceractive about krill oil and prostate cancer, don't know whether to keep taking it or not, anyone have any thoughts on this. 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 11:23

I don't think I've heard anything specific to prostate cancer.

I do recall hearing the fish oil capsules might be an issue for something, whereas eating fish is fine.

In terms of how beneficial different fish are regarding fish oil, there's an acronym, SMASH, which in order of the most beneficial first:
Salmon
Mackerel
Anchovy
Sardines
Herring

(Cod for example, off the bottom of the list, only has around 1/3rd of the fish oil of salmon.)

I do eat salmon to keep my joints pain-free.

I think I heard that at least for salmon (and probably the others too), the Omega3 comes from the krill they eat, and in some areas a significant reduction in krill was reducing the Omega 3 in the salmon.

Edited by member 01 Jul 2022 at 11:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 15:44

Wild salmon is best due the different omega 6 vs omega 3 ratio in farmed salmon. My understanding is that this ratio is important in keeping inflammation down.

https://skipperotto.com/nutrition-farmed-wild-salmon/

Ido4

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 16:08
Although there is evidence that a diet rich in fish oil from childhood can reduce the incidence of prostate cancer (eg it's lower in Japan than the west), there is no evidence whatsoever that ANY dietary supplement has any effect whatsoever on prostate cancer once you have it.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 21:55
I don't think Radar is looking to take it to help his prostate cancer as he is well into remission. I think he just wants reassurance that the supplements he is taking or considering will not make him ill. As he has a few health issues that bother him and takes quite a few meds, there is a risk of self-prescribing something that reacts with his meds.

As usual, Radar, you should check with your pharmacy before you take anything new

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 22:49
Lyn,thanks the only meds I'm on now is rabeprazole ,betmiga, tamsulosin, the reason I am asking about krill oil is that it is supposed to be good for inflammation and I have been taking it for quite a while, but last week I went to the hospital for a endoscopy my result was good except mild inflammation in my stomach, ie gastritis, but PC doesn't like inflammation.