I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How does my partner get a prostap injection whilst on holiday in australia

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 22:46

We are uk citizens and plan to travel to Australia to see our family. How do you get a prostap injection if it is needed whilst we are there?  Is it covered by the reciprocal agreement,  will health insurance cover it,  does it have to private? What is the process for organising it?   

User
Posted 02 Jul 2022 at 22:39

Would you be able to pick up the prescription for prostap before you leave and take it with you? 
Are you visiting any friends or family? If so maybe they could get in touch with local clinic to see about administering. 
Sorry can’t be of more help but it will bump your post and hopefully someone else might be able to offer further advise. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 01:45
Try to work an alternative if at all possible - you don't say when the trip is but if you are planning ahead, ask about going onto 1 month Prostap and then switch back to the 3 month dose for the injection before you go away.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User

Sorry just realised you said you are visiting family. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 12:07

Glad you’re sorted.

We had to order prostap, pick it up and then arrange an appointment with a nurse to administer here in the UK, so couldn’t see any reason why you couldn’t take the prescription with you and do the same in Australia. It cost me about 20 AUD to see a doctor in Melbourne once so hopefully won’t be too bad. Have a lovely time 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 12:21

Glad that is sorted. We had a similar question involving the USA. My opinion was that no US doctor would risk the liability of injecting drugs which they had not sourced themselves (at a price).

However the Australian system is almost certainly patient focused rather than money focused so I think your solution is a good one.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User

Would you be able to pick up the prescription for prostap before you leave and take it with you? 
Are you visiting any friends or family? If so maybe they could get in touch with local clinic to see about administering. 
Sorry can’t be of more help but it will bump your post and hopefully someone else might be able to offer further advise. 

User

Sorry just realised you said you are visiting family. 

User
Posted 03 Jul 2022 at 01:45
Try to work an alternative if at all possible - you don't say when the trip is but if you are planning ahead, ask about going onto 1 month Prostap and then switch back to the 3 month dose for the injection before you go away.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 14:43

Thanks for your reply. Yes we are trying to time things around it, but we also have other factors we need to consider. He is on 3 month prostap at the moment. Just wondered if anyone had done it before and managed to get the prostap injection in australia. It may be covered by medicare reciprocal agreement or insurance or even pay privately. It would allow us to stay longer. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 10:04

Solved.   The medication can be taken with you in powdered form to be mixed up by medical staff at injection appointment. Nhs can issue you a letter authorising administration of the medication. You contact a doctor in Australia to administer it. Still don't know if covered by medicare or travel insurance but at least it can be paid for.

Edited by member 05 Jul 2022 at 10:06  | Reason: Correct ambiguity

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 12:07

Glad you’re sorted.

We had to order prostap, pick it up and then arrange an appointment with a nurse to administer here in the UK, so couldn’t see any reason why you couldn’t take the prescription with you and do the same in Australia. It cost me about 20 AUD to see a doctor in Melbourne once so hopefully won’t be too bad. Have a lovely time 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 12:21

Glad that is sorted. We had a similar question involving the USA. My opinion was that no US doctor would risk the liability of injecting drugs which they had not sourced themselves (at a price).

However the Australian system is almost certainly patient focused rather than money focused so I think your solution is a good one.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 12:27

I'll update this when we have actually been and done it. You never know about the litigation side ... however Australia and UK have reciprocal health agreements which may make it possible. Otherwise he'll have to come back just to get an injection 😵