I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter question -post surgery

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 11:52

Hello. 57 years old, I'm a bit lighter than I was 3 months ago  and otherwise healthy up to now.  I've been a lurker since being diagnosed T2N0MO in early March and couldn't ask for a better or more supportive wife and daughter.

I've taken on board all of the advice I've read and thank you all for it. The waterproof mattress cover, bucket, Tena pads and Instillagel are all ready to go!

I am due to have a robot assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy early next week and I've been led to believe by the pre Op assessment nurse that, all being well, I may be sent home without the catheter the morning after.

Has anyone had any experience or heard of that happening please?  I'm assuming it is something that is being trailed when appropriate as I'd expected to be stuck with a catheter for ten days or so before they took it away. Thank you 

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 13:19  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 22:01

I haven’t ever heard this before either. My husband ended up with his catheter for 4 weeks as he had bladder neck reconstruction and after a check two weeks after op he still had a slight leak so as precaution they left it for another 2 weeks. He coped really well with the catheter and apart from a couple of panics with little blockages he really just took it in his stride and found it fine.

Good luck with your op and will look out for your update on no catheter 👍

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:16

That's different.  Every now and then we read of people having new treatment.  Probably the words 'subject to all being well' will be the operative term.   I was always dry at night after catheter removal but leaked when walking for a while, getting less and less.

Also the surgeon said I'd likely be going home after one night but I had a pelvic drain and there was still quite a bit of blood coming out so I asked to stay another night.  The nurse said he'd been thinking the same.  Although I was walking about easily enough on the first morning.

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 12:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:44

A catheter isn't too bad for a week or two. I wouldn't want one for life. I can't imagine how they would have stitched you up and have a waterproof joint within a day, but maybe there is a new technique.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 13:29

NFFC, I could understand if she said, sent home "  with " a catheter the next morning. Did you query what she said ? Our preop.nurses are not urology nurses.

The believe the  joint should be watertight straight away, as in nothing should leak into the abdominal cavity. I had an issue with my op and the surgeon told me he reviewed the dvd of my op and the joint was watertight. 

The catheter should be your new best friend for a few days post op. 

As already said it may be a new trial or method.I am sure you will update after the op.

For me, having constipation was worse than having a catheter.

Hope all goes well don't forget the biscuits, even if you are only in for one night.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 13:58

I had radical prostatectomy just over 2 years ago. I had a catheter in for 2 weeks after that. I was reasonably dry within about one year.

I'd be surprised if you didn't need one, but, as others have said, there may be new surgical techniques that mean that could be the case.

You can read my (rather long!) personal blog with references to catheter, pads etc at:

https://andrewhamm.co.uk/prostate/blogdetails.htm#latest

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 14:03  | Reason: re-read my own blog

______Grateful for the goodness of God________

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 14:41

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

NFFC, I could understand if she said, sent home "  with " a catheter the next morning. Did you query what she said ? Our preop.nurses are not urology nurses

Hi Chris 

He definitely said sent home without and I asked him to confirm because I was surprised.

I'll report back.  Maybe I'm going to be a medical pioneer 😀

I'll get some books in for the constipation!

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 15:10
John's urologist described the new join in the urethra as like a sieve so while it should be reasonably secure, it is raw and stitched. Many men find urine in the urethra in those first days (for example, urine leaking down the outside of the catheter tube during a spasm) extremely painful or burning. We have also seen here recently a couple of members needing medical attention because urine was leaking out of the urethra into surrounding tissue.

I am not sure but wasn't there something about the retzius-sparing technique not requiring a catheter afterwards?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 16:22

I think Bollinge had a suprapubic catheter fitted with his Retzius surgery. I have also seen guys who have urethral catheters fitted during Retzius surgery. If  a suprapubic is used then they instruct the patient to close the flip flo valve after a few days and the catheter is removed a few days after.

From the RARP videos I have watched and most of the articles about RP they  seem to give great importance to achieving a water tight anastomosis. Following the formation of a stricture my own surgeon said he had reviewed the DVD of my operation and he had definitely achieved a watertight joint. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 20:17

speedy recovery mate good luck going forward gaz 👍

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 21:05

NFFC, take it easy but keep mobile, it will help get that first motion moving, Drink plenty especially in this hot weather. Pleased the mystery of the catheter got sorted. Remember the instilagel if the eye of the penis gets sore.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 23:10

Glad the op has gone well and you are home. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery 👍

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 23:11

It appears that the PreOp assessment nurse was confusing me with another bloke who didn't have prostate cancer

At least it was the nurse that muddled you up and not the surgeon! 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:16

That's different.  Every now and then we read of people having new treatment.  Probably the words 'subject to all being well' will be the operative term.   I was always dry at night after catheter removal but leaked when walking for a while, getting less and less.

Also the surgeon said I'd likely be going home after one night but I had a pelvic drain and there was still quite a bit of blood coming out so I asked to stay another night.  The nurse said he'd been thinking the same.  Although I was walking about easily enough on the first morning.

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 12:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:27
Thanks for the reply. I suppose it's only right for me and future patients that they try to do this if they can. The catheter has always been the bit that makes me feel squeamish so I was pleasantly shocked when he mentioned the idea of getting rid of it quickly but I'm not counting on it happening. I suppose I will soon find out.
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:44

A catheter isn't too bad for a week or two. I wouldn't want one for life. I can't imagine how they would have stitched you up and have a waterproof joint within a day, but maybe there is a new technique.

Dave

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 12:59

I can't imagine how they would have stitched you up and have a waterproof joint within a day

🙂 Me neither! 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 13:29

NFFC, I could understand if she said, sent home "  with " a catheter the next morning. Did you query what she said ? Our preop.nurses are not urology nurses.

The believe the  joint should be watertight straight away, as in nothing should leak into the abdominal cavity. I had an issue with my op and the surgeon told me he reviewed the dvd of my op and the joint was watertight. 

The catheter should be your new best friend for a few days post op. 

As already said it may be a new trial or method.I am sure you will update after the op.

For me, having constipation was worse than having a catheter.

Hope all goes well don't forget the biscuits, even if you are only in for one night.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 13:58

I had radical prostatectomy just over 2 years ago. I had a catheter in for 2 weeks after that. I was reasonably dry within about one year.

I'd be surprised if you didn't need one, but, as others have said, there may be new surgical techniques that mean that could be the case.

You can read my (rather long!) personal blog with references to catheter, pads etc at:

https://andrewhamm.co.uk/prostate/blogdetails.htm#latest

Edited by member 04 Jul 2022 at 14:03  | Reason: re-read my own blog

______Grateful for the goodness of God________

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 14:41

NFFC, I could understand if she said, sent home "  with " a catheter the next morning. Did you query what she said ? Our preop.nurses are not urology nurses

Hi Chris 

He definitely said sent home without and I asked him to confirm because I was surprised.

I'll report back.  Maybe I'm going to be a medical pioneer 😀

I'll get some books in for the constipation!

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 14:42

Thanks Andy

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 15:10
John's urologist described the new join in the urethra as like a sieve so while it should be reasonably secure, it is raw and stitched. Many men find urine in the urethra in those first days (for example, urine leaking down the outside of the catheter tube during a spasm) extremely painful or burning. We have also seen here recently a couple of members needing medical attention because urine was leaking out of the urethra into surrounding tissue.

I am not sure but wasn't there something about the retzius-sparing technique not requiring a catheter afterwards?
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 15:32
I will look up the retzius-sparing technique, thank you
User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 16:22

I think Bollinge had a suprapubic catheter fitted with his Retzius surgery. I have also seen guys who have urethral catheters fitted during Retzius surgery. If  a suprapubic is used then they instruct the patient to close the flip flo valve after a few days and the catheter is removed a few days after.

From the RARP videos I have watched and most of the articles about RP they  seem to give great importance to achieving a water tight anastomosis. Following the formation of a stricture my own surgeon said he had reviewed the DVD of my operation and he had definitely achieved a watertight joint. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 22:01

I haven’t ever heard this before either. My husband ended up with his catheter for 4 weeks as he had bladder neck reconstruction and after a check two weeks after op he still had a slight leak so as precaution they left it for another 2 weeks. He coped really well with the catheter and apart from a couple of panics with little blockages he really just took it in his stride and found it fine.

Good luck with your op and will look out for your update on no catheter 👍

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 12:23

I had retzius sparing prostatectomy in March 2020 and had catheter in for a week. I haven't heard of not having one but as others have mentioned, maybe there's a new surgical technique.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 09:32
Thank you all for your responses

Surgery is on Tuesday so not long to wait now. Nervously looking forward to it
User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 20:07

Hi. Quick update.

I had RALP yesterday afternoon and with my pain under control I was allowed home today.

It appears that the PreOp assessment nurse was confusing me with another bloke who didn't have prostate cancer but was in to have his prostate reduced to stop it compressing his uretha. He came out of surgery with a catheter but it was going to come out today.

I have a catheter for the next 14 days.

Every single person that I've encountered in the NHS throughout diagnosis and my operation has been helpful, friendly, professional and a credit to their profession. Can't thank them enough. Over the main hurdle now and looking forward to getting better now.

Edited by member 13 Jul 2022 at 20:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 20:17

speedy recovery mate good luck going forward gaz 👍

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 21:05

NFFC, take it easy but keep mobile, it will help get that first motion moving, Drink plenty especially in this hot weather. Pleased the mystery of the catheter got sorted. Remember the instilagel if the eye of the penis gets sore.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 23:10

Glad the op has gone well and you are home. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery 👍

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 23:11

It appears that the PreOp assessment nurse was confusing me with another bloke who didn't have prostate cancer

At least it was the nurse that muddled you up and not the surgeon! 

User
Posted 14 Jul 2022 at 10:58

Thanks everyone. Had a good night's sleep and feel better today.  Drinking plenty and walking about. Not eating loads but feeling ok on snacky stuff. Managed ok with the first blood thinners self injection last night  Wife and daughter are both being really good with my catheter routine.

Dog doesn't want to know me though! Must smell different and look strange.

Thanks

James