I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Driving during Radiotherapy

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 20:04

Hi, I’m about to start a course of Radiotherapy in around 3 weeks time. My treatment is for 5 sessions a week for 4 weeks. I have a  Zoladex hormone implant and  fitted with a Space OAR. My Gleason count was 3/3. Generally I am a fit 77 year old and have no symptoms apart from my waterworks have slowed down a bit.

My journey to the Radiotherapy centre takes around an hour each way and I intend to drive for  each day to treatment. Will the driving each day affect me?

Many thanks in advance of replies,

Mikmak

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 18:33

Hi Mikmak,

I have just started salvage radiotherapy and intend to drive 40+ minutes each way on the M25 for the 20 sessions. My wife has offered to share some driving if tiredness becomes an issue. 

I'm not on hormone therapy and I'll be driving less than you, so hopefully someone else will see this and add their thoughts. 

Good luck, Kev. 

Edited by member 06 Jul 2022 at 18:41  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 19:24

Drove to all. My 37sessions off radiotherapy and on hormone and went straight to work after treatment with no problems whatsoever 👍 gaz

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 21:10
You shouldn't experience any issues driving to the RT appointments. I was/am still on Zoladex but didn't get any issues with tiredness either.

I think all you can do is try it, see how it goes, and make adjustments ( if possible) if you are having issues.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 21:10
No problem driving but make sure you either know where the toilets are on way home or , which is best,, have a towel and pee bottle in car you more than likely will need it .
User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 21:31
I drove an hour each way to and from all my RT sessions. Towards the end of your treatment you will almost certainly need a loo stop on the way, so figure out in advance what the available locations are.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 22:41

I drove for 23 sessions, 40 mins each way. I didn't have any problems.

I did wait around for 30-60 mins after each session to allow a couple of pees before returning, either talking with other patients or going to the Macmillan Cancer lounge and doing some work on the laptop.

A few people do get seriously fatigued during radiotherapy. I think doing exercise and being fit is probably reduces that effect - I didn't get fatigued during the external beam radiotherapy, and often went out for a bicycle ride later in the day.

In case you aren't yet, do start doing pelvic floor exercises. They may help you stay continent in the latter stages of the treatment.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2022 at 23:59

Motorbike for me 30 mins each way 15 sessions no problems.

Dave

User
Posted 07 Jul 2022 at 08:36
The vast majority of men cope very well with RT but in most cases men are also affected by HT which amongst other potential side effects causes early fatigue. Nevertheless, I agree good to try to maintain fitness as much as possible. I set myself objectives when having my HT/RT and walked almost the entire length of a bus route, albeit at a slow pace with several stops en route.
Barry