Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Aberiterone resistant after 4 months

User
Posted 04 Jul 2022 at 20:07

Hi All

Looking for some advice about my dad. He was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer Sep 2020, psa 370. The spread is to his bones. He had chemo and started on a 3 monthly injection, cant recall the name but possibly prostap. He then went to the injections monthly and daily tablets and also some bone transfusion 3 monthly.

He was on enzolutamide but his psa has been rising since October 2021. It had gone down to 0.6 but in February 2022 was up to 10 so was put on abiraterone. Psa rose to 30 end of April and now up in the 60s.

Consultant is stopping the abiraterone and starting chemo from Monday hoping this will help with psa and delay growth. If not, he will go on to radium223.

I'm sorry that I can't recall the exact names but basically, he's tried all the hormone options and it's not working. He is only 63 and bar some pain in hips, looks so well.

Does anyone know what the outlook is when the hormones stop working? Does the chemo and radium223 offer much increase to life expectancy?

We expected the hormones to work for so much longer. Id love some good stories of people living years after the hormones stop working but realistically, I need to be prepared.

Thank you all in advance

User
Posted 26 Aug 2022 at 20:30
Sorry to read this about your Dad. I have only just started on the same drug regime. I know my own oncologist suggested they would move to Chemo when this stopped working so I hope chemo will work well for your dad. I think there are many who have a long time on hormones and others less so. Other options can work for a good bit though and I noticed a new drug has just been approved too for when many other things have failed.

Best wishes to you.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2022 at 21:05

Katie, sorry to hear this. Hormone therapy works well for some people and not well for others. Interesting that his consultant managed to wrangle a switch from Enzalutamide when not working to Abiraterone, because NICE doesn't allow this, but unfortunate that didn't really work either. I hope the chemo knocks it back, but no way to know without trying.

In addition to chemo (of which there are 2 or 3 different drugs which can be tried) and Radium223, there's also Lutetium177 on the horizon although not yet approved other than for trials on the NHS. Rarely they try the original hormone therapy drug Diethyl Stilbestrol which occasionally works for a while after other hormone therapy drugs have failed.

You might also want to ask, or at least express an interest in trials.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2022 at 15:12

Thank you. PSA was 70 when starting chemo, just before third cycle is has risen to 230. But must take positive in the fact that it hasn't doubled at this 3 weekly blood test, as was the pattern. So hoping for some reduction from the next results. 

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to how people respond but thank you for your replies. I hope your journeys through treatments are successful Michael and I will ask about these Andy- thank you. 

We are lucky that the oncologist is really fighting for dad, he did try referring him for a clinical trial of immunotherapy but he was rejected as he needs the chemo to fail first. Seems backward but I appreciate this is a trial and hopefully in the future, this will be offered to men before they reach this late stage