I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

V high PSA

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 08:31

OH diagnosed  with metastatic PC 12months ago. Extensive Bone & lymph infiltration, PSA 2457 at diagnosis , now down to ‘undetectable’ with hormone treatment.  Advised it should be effective but only for a limited amount of time. Anyone else with such a high PSA at diagnosis who could share their experience? 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 08:56
Trevor_Boothe was on 13,000 at diagnosis and lived for 5 years.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 15:50

Thanks. His mets seemed pretty widespread at diagnosis 12m ago. Spine, shoulder, ribs, pelvis, lymphs etc. Gleason of 9 but very strong response to Enza and Prostap so far. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 08:56
Trevor_Boothe was on 13,000 at diagnosis and lived for 5 years.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 10:52

Dad diagnosed Sep 2020, psa was 370 then, spread to bones. Had chemo and hormone therapy, there have been a few different hormone therapies and at one point psa went down to 0.4. The hormones have stopped working now and psa now up to 70 after doubling every month. He's still relatively fit and well and has option of chemo and radium223. We were disappointed the hormones stopped working so quickly but don't think it's the end and the rise in psa hasn't correlated with the spread which the last scan showed to be denser but not increased to other body parts.

I hope the treatment works for your partner for a long time to come, I'm not sure the starting psa number dictates this x

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 11:20
Katie is right - the fact that PSA is very high at diagnosis does not indicate how successful or otherwise a treatment might be - someone could be diagnosed with a PSA of 10 but widespread mets and find that the HT only works for a very short time.

As a general point of reference, it is estimated that HT will control prostate cancer for between 2 - 5 years before it becomes hormone independent (castrate resistant) and other treatment has to be added. However, for some men, the cancer is hormone independent immediately and we have members here who have done well on HT for 10 / 15 years.

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 11:49
When I eventually agreed to some spine RT and hormone therapy , my psa was over 1000. Reduced to 990 after RT which was my starting psa 18 months ago on HT. Now reduced to 0.77 over that period. I was told by my Onco that the median success time is 3 to 5 yrs. My fingers are crossed each night in bed. Good luck
User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 15:50

Thanks. His mets seemed pretty widespread at diagnosis 12m ago. Spine, shoulder, ribs, pelvis, lymphs etc. Gleason of 9 but very strong response to Enza and Prostap so far. 

User
Posted 05 Jul 2022 at 21:37

Hi Eleven

Hope things are going well re treatment options. Please see my bio, feel free to private message.

Best wishes