I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed yesterday which treatment do I choose?

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 13:22

Had my TRUS biopsy done on the 10th of June and went to see my consultant yesterday for the results.  Diagnosed with T2c, Gleason score 7 (3+4), cancer in left and right side of prostate 6 of 12 samples had cancer. PSA 4.27 prostate up from 19cc to 25cc.

I have been offered 3 treatment options 1, RP, 2, RT with HT or 3,  Seed Brachytherapy. The consultant has recommended RP as best treatment to give me the best outcome long term considering my age.  He told me if I wanted the Brachytherapy I would have to go Leeds for this.

I'm not sure at this point what to do as I have a lot of questions, I have appointment coming up to speak to both radiologist and surgeon to discuss my options so will probably decide after that.

What is the recovery time after RP? I suppose everyone is different I know that I wont be able to drive for 4 weeks an no heavy lifting for 8 weeks but what about other things like general housework, cooking, hoovering, cleaning.  Being a full time carer taking the RP option would make things difficult for a while.  Also I have no way of getting home after having surgery would/should the hospital be able to provide transport? 

Comments appreciated.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2022 at 14:37
I see that you have also posted on your existing thread and people have responded there. It would be better to delete this thread and keep all your queries and replies together in one place but in terms of the specific questions:

- how much hands on caring do you do - lifting? turning? personal care? You are probably not going to be able to lift anything heavier than a bag of sugar for a couple of months

- that doesn't necessarily mean that RP is ruled out - you can ask the local authority adult social services to do a carer's assessment (to see whether there are any services they need to put in place while you are incapacitated) and they are obliged to do so although they may conclude that there isn't anything they can offer

- depending on the needs of the person you care for, you can also ask the local authority to undertake a care and needs assessment

- speak to the oncologist and the brachy consultant before you make a final decision - with carer responsibilities, brachy is likely to be your best option or at least worthy of serious consideration

Leeds oncology department is a regional centre of excellence so many men go there for prostate cancer treatment from Wakefield, Huddersfield, York, Harrogate, etc.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard