Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

LUNG NODULES AND RISING PSA

User
Posted 09 Jul 2022 at 21:47

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with Advanced prostate cancer last autumn (3 lung nodules & a swollen lymph node nearby), having previously been in remission from locally advanced prostate cancer. In August my PSA was 4.0 & after starting hormone injections it was down to 0.11 in Nov. I started Enzalutamide in New Year, & by end of Jan. it was 0.03. It remained there in Feb.& March. In April it was 0.04, in May it was 0.05 & in July it had risen to 0.09. How concerned should I be? I have a phone appt. with my oncologist this coming Fri., arranged before my latest results. Chatting with one of the prostate cancer nurses she said the PSA may well start to steady or it might rise might due to renewed activity of some cancer cells. 

I would welcome opinions. Richard

User
Posted 10 Jul 2022 at 00:39
I think the onco will want to keep a close eye on it but won't panic and change the treatment yet. One of the things you could ask on Friday is "how high does the PSA need to go before you conclude that it is failing?" and you could also ask whether it would be a good idea to have a testosterone test to see whether you have achieved and are maintaining castrate level.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 21:23

Thank you. The testosterone blood level has been checked and I will know when I'm sent a copy of all my latest blood results, but will certainly ask the oncologist on Friday.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2022 at 20:42
Had phone appt. with oncologist on Friday. He suggested the PSA might stay at a low figure or might continue to rise slowly which would indicate some further activity of cancer cells, probably from the lung nodules. If and when my PSA rose above 2.00 he would arrange for a CT scan. He said also said the Enzalutamide can work for up to 18 months normally, but could on occasion work for several years.

I asked about having chemotherapy but he was not very keen on the idea, perhaps because I have just turned 80, and also because of the high risk of infection & ending up in hospital, & also the risk of a stroke or heart attack. So it seems Enzalutamide might be the end of the treatment road for me, and I would be left to palliative care, a not very good outlook. Can anyone offer any positive thoughts about my situation and prospects?

Incidentally my testosterone has fallen from 1.00 in May to 0.6 in July.

Many thanks for any help or advice. Richard

User
Posted 17 Jul 2022 at 21:14

Okay - so you weren't at castrate level when your PSA started rising but you are now so hopefully the PSA will stabilise. Enza isn't necessarily your last chance of treatment - if and when it does fail, chemo may look worth the risk (my father-in-law had chemo at 79 and managed it very well but I am not sure we would have been so keen if covid had been around then) and possibly something like radium 223 or even an old oestrogen based treatment called stilboestrol.

Edited by member 18 Jul 2022 at 09:05  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jul 2022 at 08:13

Thank you Lyn. That makes me feel a bit more positive about possible further treatments if they are needed.

Warm wishes 

Richard