I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Planning for robotic surgery

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 16:06

I had my appointment with the surgeon today and he told me that treatment can be surgery or radio therapy.

I was already convinced that I would choose surgery after educating myself about side effects and cure. And also with the experiences of all posting on here.

One recent great source of information was videos by Prostate Cancer Research. There are still more to come but they are uploaded on their site: https://www.prostate-cancer-research.org.uk/what-to-expect-library/

So I now have to plan for surgery: good news is they can save the nerves

- squeezy exercises: the app give 3 sets of 10 a day. Is it enough?

- diet: any specifics?

- shopping: waterproof mattress protector, pads (do they come in different sizes?), bucket near bed at night?

- activities: I'm a regular swimmer, 50 lengths every weekday so this is what I will miss the most. Does anyone knows how long it takes to go back to exercise like swimming. Of course if incontinence doesn't stop it might takes time.

Thanks, eric

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 16:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
activities: I'm a regular swimmer, 50 lengths every weekday so this is what I will miss the most. Does anyone knows how long it takes to go back to exercise like swimming.

Assuming you are having a RARP (Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy)...

Catheter will be out usually between 7 and 14 days. I was instructed...

* no strenuous exercise for 4 weeks

* no heavy lifting for 6 weeks

* no cycling or horseriding for 6 weeks

You should definitely ask your surgeon, but if I had to guess I'd say swimming could be done at 4 or 6 weeks, but you'd be wise to start gently and see how it goes. Your surgeon is the best one to ask though.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 17:12

Everyone is different but my incontinence really only improved enough to consider pool swimming after about 6-7 weeks.  I just used (and still use) the regular 3 sets on squeezy.

The  good news is that when I did get back in the pool there were no issues.  My physio gave me some abdominal stretches (planks etc.) For after the op and once these were more or less pain free I used that as a marker to get back swimming along with incontinence improvements.  Now 8 weeks post RP and swimming in pool and sea with no issues.  I am still finding a bit of extra post exercise tiredness so it may take a while to get back to your previous volume.  But this is very personal so I would just say to listen to your body as you get back into your old routine, but you will get there.  

Ref pads.  Once the catheter came out I started with Tena level 3 for day and pull ups for the night time.  There was no need for a bed protector.  Am now on Tena level 1 (which I am close to ditching in case they become a crutch) for the day time and no pads at night.   Progress was slow enough for the first 4 weeks post catheter and I found this frustrating, but then it improved quickly.

Best wishes with the op!

Edited by member 11 Jul 2022 at 17:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 17:16

I also recommend some dark coloured jogging bottoms to hide the catheter and for after removal elasticated shorts for summer. Also ask for installagel before leaving hospital as the catheter can make the tip of the penis sore

Wishing you all the best 

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 18:32

As Jellies said a mattress protector might not be needed but I did experience a couple of floods. The first was when I was still catheterised. I carelessly let the tube to the night bag get kinked. It resulted in bypass leakage down the urethra. You can also end up with the same result if you forget to open the tap to the night bag. The second flood was using a light pad at night too early. I had been more or less dry at night for over a week but then I had an unexplained relapse for two nights.

Hope all goes well with the op.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 19:55
If the incontinence drags on, you can get special continence swimming trunks. You should be able to swim as soon as you have had your post-op review with the surgeon to confirm that everything has healed up nicely on the outside. Front crawl may be better than breaststroke for your abdominal muscles initially
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 21:28

Try and avoid constipation, keeping mobile and keeping fluid intake up should help. Snug but not tight short type underwear helps keep the catheter from moving around.

A packet of your favourite biscuits or crisps are handy if you lose your appetite or want a midnight snack. A non fizzy drink makes a change from water. Ask the hospital for some ear plugs and an eye mask, you will still be disturbed for regular obs.

Get a couple of spare thigh straps so you can shower. Shower put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the bag to the dry strap.

Have a look at this post.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t24485-Going-in-for-the-Operation---any-tips#post240314

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 07:35
Hospitals can usually arrange transport for people with no transport of their own.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 08:02
Use the friend if you can, the op is a lot more debilitating than the biopsy.

T shirt and baggy shorts every time in hospital for me.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 13:35

Had my RARP 10 days ago and having catheter removed on Thurs. I’m pretty fit too but was really fatigued so i agree about a friend to pick you up. Id recommend one of the grabber picker upper devices. I was pretty pain free but i think it was the abdominal inflation made it sore around my diaphragm fir bending . This went off in the first 5 days and only needed a few paracetamol at home. I had some constipation problems despite taking a low dose of lactulose before to try and head constipation off. I’d recommend having some Movicol a few days before the op …..it certainly sorted me out afterwards but it was painful and messy and the worst thing about the whole experience so best avoided.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 19:20
Hi Eric 

Senokot is a stimulant laxative so worth discussing with your Boots pharmacist if this medicine is really  appropriate for post op. As I understand it , the key thing is making the stools soft and easy to poop as you don't want to put a lot of pushing pressure on your newly connected “pipework” after surgery. Movicol or a matching formulation does this (and its what they gave me when I left the hospital. 

I dont think its possible to sleep on your stomach after the op in the short term at least. The PCUK information booklets mention fatigue….and they are correct! I have had no difficulty sleeping…..at any time of the day!!
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 20:22

Hi Eric 

Senokot is a stimulant laxative so worth discussing with your Boots pharmacist if this medicine is really  appropriate for post op. As I understand it , the key thing is making the stools soft and easy to poop as you don't want to put a lot of pushing pressure on your newly connected “pipework” after surgery. Movicol or a matching formulation does this (and its what they gave me when I left the hospital.

I was given senna and lactulose as part of my post-op discharge meds. Having that first poo is a really important milestone as it's when the shoulder ache (referred pain from diaphragm pressure caused by the CO2) goes away.

Thankfully I had a Friday am op and managed first bowel opening on Sunday morning. (Surgeon said that was about a day ahead of 'usual', which I took as a win 😃).

Also walking helps get things moving too. I was told "as much as you feel comfortable with, but if the urine in your bag goes pink, you're overdoing it and back off a bit." 

Edited by member 12 Jul 2022 at 20:23  | Reason: Not specified

_____

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 17:38
Hi Eric,

I will not use this thread to go into great detail but it is not certain I have IBS although my GP agrees this is most likely my problem, even though I lack many of the indicators. It is just possible that the increasing frequency when I have diarrhea is down to late RT effects or some other reason. Maybe the planned camera investigation will help determine.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 16:22

activities: I'm a regular swimmer, 50 lengths every weekday so this is what I will miss the most. Does anyone knows how long it takes to go back to exercise like swimming.

Assuming you are having a RARP (Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy)...

Catheter will be out usually between 7 and 14 days. I was instructed...

* no strenuous exercise for 4 weeks

* no heavy lifting for 6 weeks

* no cycling or horseriding for 6 weeks

You should definitely ask your surgeon, but if I had to guess I'd say swimming could be done at 4 or 6 weeks, but you'd be wise to start gently and see how it goes. Your surgeon is the best one to ask though.

_____

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 17:12

Everyone is different but my incontinence really only improved enough to consider pool swimming after about 6-7 weeks.  I just used (and still use) the regular 3 sets on squeezy.

The  good news is that when I did get back in the pool there were no issues.  My physio gave me some abdominal stretches (planks etc.) For after the op and once these were more or less pain free I used that as a marker to get back swimming along with incontinence improvements.  Now 8 weeks post RP and swimming in pool and sea with no issues.  I am still finding a bit of extra post exercise tiredness so it may take a while to get back to your previous volume.  But this is very personal so I would just say to listen to your body as you get back into your old routine, but you will get there.  

Ref pads.  Once the catheter came out I started with Tena level 3 for day and pull ups for the night time.  There was no need for a bed protector.  Am now on Tena level 1 (which I am close to ditching in case they become a crutch) for the day time and no pads at night.   Progress was slow enough for the first 4 weeks post catheter and I found this frustrating, but then it improved quickly.

Best wishes with the op!

Edited by member 11 Jul 2022 at 17:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 17:16

I also recommend some dark coloured jogging bottoms to hide the catheter and for after removal elasticated shorts for summer. Also ask for installagel before leaving hospital as the catheter can make the tip of the penis sore

Wishing you all the best 

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 18:32

As Jellies said a mattress protector might not be needed but I did experience a couple of floods. The first was when I was still catheterised. I carelessly let the tube to the night bag get kinked. It resulted in bypass leakage down the urethra. You can also end up with the same result if you forget to open the tap to the night bag. The second flood was using a light pad at night too early. I had been more or less dry at night for over a week but then I had an unexplained relapse for two nights.

Hope all goes well with the op.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 19:55
If the incontinence drags on, you can get special continence swimming trunks. You should be able to swim as soon as you have had your post-op review with the surgeon to confirm that everything has healed up nicely on the outside. Front crawl may be better than breaststroke for your abdominal muscles initially
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jul 2022 at 21:28

Try and avoid constipation, keeping mobile and keeping fluid intake up should help. Snug but not tight short type underwear helps keep the catheter from moving around.

A packet of your favourite biscuits or crisps are handy if you lose your appetite or want a midnight snack. A non fizzy drink makes a change from water. Ask the hospital for some ear plugs and an eye mask, you will still be disturbed for regular obs.

Get a couple of spare thigh straps so you can shower. Shower put a dry strap on the other leg and transfer the bag to the dry strap.

Have a look at this post.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t24485-Going-in-for-the-Operation---any-tips#post240314

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 07:35
Hospitals can usually arrange transport for people with no transport of their own.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 08:02
Use the friend if you can, the op is a lot more debilitating than the biopsy.

T shirt and baggy shorts every time in hospital for me.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 13:35

Had my RARP 10 days ago and having catheter removed on Thurs. I’m pretty fit too but was really fatigued so i agree about a friend to pick you up. Id recommend one of the grabber picker upper devices. I was pretty pain free but i think it was the abdominal inflation made it sore around my diaphragm fir bending . This went off in the first 5 days and only needed a few paracetamol at home. I had some constipation problems despite taking a low dose of lactulose before to try and head constipation off. I’d recommend having some Movicol a few days before the op …..it certainly sorted me out afterwards but it was painful and messy and the worst thing about the whole experience so best avoided.

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 18:42
Thank you for that link Eric. I have not looked through all episodes yet but some useful information therein, especially for those unfamiliar with PCa. Furthermore, there are some well known names contributing so I will bookmark for further reference.

Hopefully, with addition contributions from members here, you will now have a better idea of what to prepare for and expect.

Incidentally, I also have what is thought might be IBS but am awaiting further tests for this. I can go from one extreme to the other so have to juggle between laxatives and Imodium.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 19:20
Hi Eric 

I dont think its possible to sleep on your stomach after the op in the short term at least. The PCUK information booklets mention fatigue….and they are correct! I have had no difficulty sleeping…..at any time of the day!!
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 20:22

Hi Eric 

I was given senna and lactulose as part of my post-op discharge meds. Having that first poo is a really important milestone as it's when the shoulder ache (referred pain from diaphragm pressure caused by the CO2) goes away.

Thankfully I had a Friday am op and managed first bowel opening on Sunday morning. (Surgeon said that was about a day ahead of 'usual', which I took as a win 😃).

Also walking helps get things moving too. I was told "as much as you feel comfortable with, but if the urine in your bag goes pink, you're overdoing it and back off a bit." 

Edited by member 12 Jul 2022 at 20:23  | Reason: Not specified

_____

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 17:38
Hi Eric,

I will not use this thread to go into great detail but it is not certain I have IBS although my GP agrees this is most likely my problem, even though I lack many of the indicators. It is just possible that the increasing frequency when I have diarrhea is down to late RT effects or some other reason. Maybe the planned camera investigation will help determine.

Barry