I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Palm oil

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 14:21

Hi,I have been  trying to eat healthy, but I bought what I thought to be healthy bread wholemeal bread with seeds and grains, but when I looked at  all  the ingredients I noticed that there was some palm oil in ,would it be ok to  eat, any views on this please. 

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 17:20
Hi radar, unless you have a moral issue with consuming palm oil I cannot see a reason for not eating the bread
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 17:26

Yes moral and environmental reasons were my first thought, but I just googled palm oil and cancer and there is a link, but in all honesty I don't think any food doesn't kill you somehow.

Until we get Ukrainian sunflower oil again expect to see a lot more palm oil.

Dave

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 18:43
I don't like palm oil either, mainly because of the enviromental damage caused by growing it. I use British rape seed oil for bread making and in fact anything else. John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 19:10
Radar, it is better for the future of the planet if we can all reduce palm oil use. But palm oil is present in many of your foods and daily products, eating a loaf of bread is not going to affect your health because you don't have prostate cancer any more.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 20:15
Thanks, but Lynn how do you know I haven't got prostate cancer.
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 20:26
If I didn't have prostate cancer why won't the Dr's give me some testosterone, I had a blood test today because I might not be absorbing nutrients due to ppis which I have been taking for years, I have also been referred for a dexa scan.
User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 20:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Thanks, but Lynn how do you know I haven't got prostate cancer.

Because it is many years since your treatment finished; you are in remission. There is a little bit of research that suggests high doses of palm oil given to mice might make advanced, aggressive cancer more aggressive but you don't have advanced prostate cancer and there is a lot of research that suggests palm oil is good for your prostate. 

Half the food in your cupboard probably has palm oil in it - margarine, bread, biscuits, breakfast cereal, your shampoo ... if you try to avoid it, you will starve and you are already too thin. Some of those supplements and medicines that you take will probably have palm oil in them as well. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 21:01

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
If I didn't have prostate cancer why won't the Dr's give me some testosterone, I had a blood test today because I might not be absorbing nutrients due to ppis which I have been taking for years, I have also been referred for a dexa scan.

That's a different issue - your endocrinologist advised against it. Perhaps he was worried that giving you testosterone could bring the cancer back, or perhaps he just thought that your slimness was not down to lack of testosterone and so it wouldn't solve the thing that worries you most? 

User
Posted 12 Jul 2022 at 22:17

Thankyou, Lyn.