I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

hello and where I am

User
Posted 15 Jul 2022 at 16:46

hello to everyone and many thanks for all the information.

where I am-

2012 Prostate symptoms

2013 - 2015 On active surveillance. Average PSA - 9.6. Three biopsies. Low percentage of cancer cells in two cores. Gleeson 3+3 =6.

2016 MRI prostate size 68cc Average PSA 10.99.

After discussion with urology team had a TURP

2017-2020 Average PSA - 5.01

Active surveillance continues.

January- Blood in urine and large clots continues for 2 weeks.

Cystoscopy shows urethral stricture and prostate growing into space made by TURP.  Prescribed Finesteride, which I stopped after six months due to side-effects.

June - Blood in urine with clots. Continues for 3 days.

December- Blood in urine with clots.

Average PSA for 2021 - 5.24

Urinary symptoms of enlarged prostate, average PSA-5.7 (so far).

Had flow test.

June - Blood in urine again with clots.

Awaiting follow up out patients.

So it seems the enlarging prostate pushing into area that was excised in 2016  by TURP is my problem.

I am lucky as my cancer has been described as low grade and low risk. 

But what are my options concerning the prostate enlargement? Is another TURP the way to go? Anyone any knowledge concerning other treatments which may be helpful? Or possible? I don't want to go back on Finesteride.

I am up usually twice a night, suffer from dribbling, difficulty in starting urination, poor flow at night. I double void.

As I said I feel lucky  but symptoms have an effect on the quality of life and I would like to hear from anyone with experience of treatment other than TURP for enlarged prostate.

User
Posted 15 Jul 2022 at 23:32

Hi, well I'm glad the prostate cancer has remained insignificant for a decade.

I can only assume a turp is the way to go forward. I guess if you really wanted to avoid turp and you had some problems particularly with having to get up in the night you could consider intermediate self catheterisation. See the thread below.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

Personally though I think it is great for solving  a weeing problem for a short while and if you only had to do it once a day before bedtime it would be OK, I don't think it is the best long term solution to your problem.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Jul 2022 at 09:34
Many thanks for reply Dave.

Thank you for your thoughts on my problem.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2022 at 22:38

Has the urologist said that they are willing to repeat the TURP?

If not, I think if you were my brother or dad, I would want a new biopsy of the prostate tissue that is growing back into the space left by the previous TURP

Edited by member 17 Jul 2022 at 22:41  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jul 2022 at 08:49
Thank you for replying.

Urology have only said a repeat TURP is possible.

A new biopsy I guess would be appropriate ( I hate them! But then who doesn't?!)

I am awaiting an Out Patients appointment to discuss.

Its just good to run things by here to seek opinions.

Thank you for your thoughts.