I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Understanding biopsy report

User
Posted 15 Jul 2022 at 16:57

Hi all...just a quick update. My husband has  now commenced chemotherapy and has had his 2nd session. Main issue poor sleep pattern otherwise good. I Just would like if someone could explain the following findings on his biopsy report. He had 11 biopsies taken I  total. 

7 from right of which 6 positive and 4 from left of which 3 positive. GLEASON score total 4+5=9.

Right side 6 of 6 gleason 4+5  25% of tissue.

Left side 3 of 3  Gleason 4+5=9 20% of tissue. 4mm maximum length. 

I'm not sure what the percentage means and it's significance.

Also noted on report the tumour occupies approx. 22% of the total tissue  submitted. So how significent is this regarding his cancer.

Also states in report there is significent crush artefact of biopsies   which makes interpretation difficult. SO would this finding then have a bearing on his  gleason scoring. 

Hope this makes sense and thank you all members who greatly helped me with your continuous replies as It makes such a difference when  your are trying to come to terms with hubby's diagnosis. 

Regards  Ann

User
Posted 15 Jul 2022 at 22:14
It just means that in the areas that they were taking biopsies from, the cancer was in just about every section and is high risk in terms of its ability to spread.. It doesn't really make much difference to you because it was already known that it had spread.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Jul 2022 at 23:06

Thank you LynEyre for your reply and explanation. I really appreciate it. You are so helpful on this  forum. Regards Ann