I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Percentage of positive biopsys

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 17:16

Hi..I am writing to get info for my husband, who is 70 and recently had a prostrate biopsy.

The doctor told him that 50% of men who had a biopsy are usually diagnosed with cancer...does that sound right?

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 17:56

Hi Colinba,

That is probably about right, but things have changed a bit in the UK; due to better MRI imaging in the last five years, they now do less biopsies, but they are better targeted at those likely to have cancer. So the figure of 50% may be outdated, and now it might be 60%.

About 70% of men at that age will have some signs of cancer in the prostate and it just sits there quite harmlessly for decades. So don't be too worried about the fact he has a biopsy, and don't be too worried about a positive result. A prostate cancer diagnosis is not a death sentence.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 17:57
It depends on age - about 70% of men in their 70s will have some prostate cancer although many are never diagnosed because it doesn't cause them any problems.

Most men who have a biopsy these days either already have symptoms or they have had an MRI scan that suggested a suspicious area so I think it will probably be a little higher than 50% who go on to get a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 17:56

Hi Colinba,

That is probably about right, but things have changed a bit in the UK; due to better MRI imaging in the last five years, they now do less biopsies, but they are better targeted at those likely to have cancer. So the figure of 50% may be outdated, and now it might be 60%.

About 70% of men at that age will have some signs of cancer in the prostate and it just sits there quite harmlessly for decades. So don't be too worried about the fact he has a biopsy, and don't be too worried about a positive result. A prostate cancer diagnosis is not a death sentence.

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 17:57
It depends on age - about 70% of men in their 70s will have some prostate cancer although many are never diagnosed because it doesn't cause them any problems.

Most men who have a biopsy these days either already have symptoms or they have had an MRI scan that suggested a suspicious area so I think it will probably be a little higher than 50% who go on to get a diagnosis of prostate cancer.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 18:07

Thanks so much for your reply Dave.   
He was recommended an mri and biopsy because they found three cysts on the prostrate.  On dre,.  However the ultrasound only showed two of the cysts.      The third one only showed up on mri.    
Also..they said one to two weeks to get the result. But wondering if it often takes longer than this?

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 20:25

It took about 6 weeks for mine, however it took less than two weeks for somebody I know who had their biopsy on the same day in the same hospital as me. I think it depends where you live and how busy they are. I was told 2 weeks is the norm. 

User
Posted 19 Jul 2022 at 21:04
Thank you