I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment plan- zoladex and upfront abiraterone

User
Posted 21 Jul 2022 at 19:05

My dad has been diagnosed with advanced PC. Spread to lymph with a couple of bone mets. We met the consultant today and he said my dad will stay on zoladex injections and also be treated with upfront aptalutamide with chemo in reserve.   Does anyone have any experience of this treatment plan?

I’m sure I read somewhere some choose to keep 
aptalutamide  In reserve but I can’t remember reading why or what research supports this- can anyone help with links to this please? 

Thanks in advance 😊

Edited by member 22 Jul 2022 at 08:26  | Reason: Used incorrect drug name

User
Posted 21 Jul 2022 at 19:05

My dad has been diagnosed with advanced PC. Spread to lymph with a couple of bone mets. We met the consultant today and he said my dad will stay on zoladex injections and also be treated with upfront aptalutamide with chemo in reserve.   Does anyone have any experience of this treatment plan?

I’m sure I read somewhere some choose to keep 
aptalutamide  In reserve but I can’t remember reading why or what research supports this- can anyone help with links to this please? 

Thanks in advance 😊

Edited by member 22 Jul 2022 at 08:26  | Reason: Used incorrect drug name

User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 00:22

Zoladex improves the success of any treatment. Chemo is traditionally used for cancer. I don't know for how long it is effective but combining the two gives good results.

Because of the effect of chemo on the immune system during the pandemic chemo was not used so much, but arbiterone which is much more expensive was used instead. As COVID prevalence is higher now than ever before chemo is still too risky.

I have no references to studies to show how effective each treatment is. I hope the above at least sheds some light on why this is being recommended.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 07:39
Yes! Apalutimide is the latest and possibly greatest of that family of drugs.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 00:22

Zoladex improves the success of any treatment. Chemo is traditionally used for cancer. I don't know for how long it is effective but combining the two gives good results.

Because of the effect of chemo on the immune system during the pandemic chemo was not used so much, but arbiterone which is much more expensive was used instead. As COVID prevalence is higher now than ever before chemo is still too risky.

I have no references to studies to show how effective each treatment is. I hope the above at least sheds some light on why this is being recommended.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 00:46
People and organisations like PCUK campaigned hard for drugs like abiraterone and enzalutimide to be available before chemo but NICE looked unlikely to ever agree it - and then covid happened. Grab the opportunity with both hands!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 06:43

Thanks for the replies- sorry I got the name of the drug wrong- it’s Aptalutamide he is offering- do we still want to grab that too? 😊

User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 07:39
Yes! Apalutimide is the latest and possibly greatest of that family of drugs.
User
Posted 22 Jul 2022 at 08:30

Thanks. 
He offered my dad the option of chemo, Aptalutamide and zoladex all at once if he wanted but said he recommended leaving chemo until later. Does anyone know why this is please?  

Edited by member 22 Jul 2022 at 12:36  | Reason: Not specified