I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Kayaking with incontinence

User
Posted 23 Jul 2022 at 17:28

I've been dealing with prostate cancer since 2010.  I've had three minor bladder operations since my prostatectomy in 2010.  Since the most recent operation six weeks ago I have suffered loss of bladder control with fairly constant leakage when I am moving around.  Before the operation I had only very minor and infrequent stress incontinence; I did not wear pads.  I am now wearing pads all the time.  Also before the operation I used to go kayaking weekly with a group from my local club, which involved coping with periods of up to 2 and a half hours between opportunities to go to the loo.  I don't know how to continue kayaking given that I may need to change my pad after one and a half hours.  I'm also unsure about using pads in the damp circumstances of a kayak cockpit.  I am about to get some Conveen external catheters and bags, but I doubt that they will be practical for kayaking.  Does anybody have relevant experience or advice?  Many thanks.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2022 at 12:36

Thanks for your reply, Chris.  My recent op was provoked by blood in urine, but while the surgeon was in there, he did a bit of dilation to deal with bladder neck narrowing.

Hitherto when kayaking I have used ordinary quick drying clothes, with waterproof yacht-sailing trousers if it is cold/wet.  I have once used a wet-suit.  My main problem is the time lag between leaving our base and our first stop, which can be as much as 2.5 hours.  Even level 4 pants are usually full/overfull by 2 hours.  I also don't want to cause my fellow kayakers - mostly a few decades younger than me - the inconvenience of having to adapt their practices to accommodate my needs.  I haven't given up yet and your post has given me some useful things to think about.  Thanks.

Philip.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 16:23

In case anyone is interested in how the story developed, I took the plunge today and went kayaking with a club group on the Thames while using Conveen Optima urisheath and 250 ml "Active" thigh bag.  I was not wearing a dry suit or wetsuit, just normal walking trousers and long-sleeved sports top covered with waterproof (and windproof) sailing trousers and windproof dinghy-sailing top.  The Conveen system worked really well.   I have also used the same combination on my toad bike under lycra cycling shorts and that works well too - at least for me.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jul 2022 at 10:30

No experience of kayaking but lots of experience with strictures. Was your recent operation for a stricture issue. I did recover my continence after dilatations and bladder neck incisions sometimes it was a few days other times it took a few weeks. 

Are you kayaking in wet or dry suits. With elasticated waist bottoms I can quickly swap a pad, while walking, not as easy if sat down. With the conveen system I did get some 250 ml active bags. 

Cold weather can be an issue when our bits shrink, the insides of the sheaths can stick together and the urine comes out of the opening of the sheath not the spout.Getting the correct size and length is key too success. Ugo will probably send you samples if you ask, the conveen Optima has the advantage of coming in a compact storage case.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 24 Jul 2022 at 12:36

Thanks for your reply, Chris.  My recent op was provoked by blood in urine, but while the surgeon was in there, he did a bit of dilation to deal with bladder neck narrowing.

Hitherto when kayaking I have used ordinary quick drying clothes, with waterproof yacht-sailing trousers if it is cold/wet.  I have once used a wet-suit.  My main problem is the time lag between leaving our base and our first stop, which can be as much as 2.5 hours.  Even level 4 pants are usually full/overfull by 2 hours.  I also don't want to cause my fellow kayakers - mostly a few decades younger than me - the inconvenience of having to adapt their practices to accommodate my needs.  I haven't given up yet and your post has given me some useful things to think about.  Thanks.

Philip.

User
Posted 24 Jul 2022 at 22:04
Incontinence swimming trunks may solve your problem?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Jul 2022 at 14:51
Splash about neoprene trunks are pretty good and you can get some that would look a bit like a shortie wet suit. Happy paddling!
User
Posted 25 Jul 2022 at 15:03

Many thanks to Lyn and Happy camper for their suggestions.  My main problem is that I am leaking fairly constantly and may have to cope with 2+ hours between pitstops.  You've both given me options to think about and I'm grateful for the solidarity and support. 

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 16:23

In case anyone is interested in how the story developed, I took the plunge today and went kayaking with a club group on the Thames while using Conveen Optima urisheath and 250 ml "Active" thigh bag.  I was not wearing a dry suit or wetsuit, just normal walking trousers and long-sleeved sports top covered with waterproof (and windproof) sailing trousers and windproof dinghy-sailing top.  The Conveen system worked really well.   I have also used the same combination on my toad bike under lycra cycling shorts and that works well too - at least for me.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 16:28
The idea of a "toad bike" made me smile! Shades of Wind in the Willows.