Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sleep issues

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 11:53

Hi all

I weaned off the wappy pills a few months ago as the side effects of the latest "try this and see if it works" were terrible and, having got through the insomnia period, I have settled into a regular get off to sleep fairly soon, then wake up between 3 and 430 for a pee and then 50/50 if I get back to sleep routine. My REM sleep is well below average and my deep sleep is higher than average. I have been doing weights and running to reduce the sporadic sleep apnoea I had and generally get fitter. One problem is that owing to the surgery and my therefore less than showroom standard bladder, I feel the urge to pee on a partially full bladder most of the time.

Am I relegated to no fluids after 6pm and no caffeine after noon or is there anything else I could try?

I know in the grand scheme of things, I have got off lightly, but it is making it hard to focus on finding a job and getting ship done, with broken sleep.

Cheers,

PP

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 12:14
Sounds like you need bladder retraining rather than anything else? Does your local urology department/ incontinence service offer bladder training?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 12:36
Counter intuitive but try drinking more (water!) ALL day. I find it helps me (urine is less irritant). Try deliberately holding on during the day to stretch everything out a bit too.
User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 13:33
Cheers

You may well both be right.

I did have a uro nurse advising me on rehab after the surgery but lost heart over ED rehab and kegels for various reasons and let it slide. I will give hear a call to see what other advice she can give apart from me getting back in the practice.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 15:50

My bladder training for urge and frequency was as simple as:

Try to hold on as long as possible. Easy at home when near the loo but be careful when out.

Never go "just in case" like every time you leave the house unless you know there will be no opportunity within the time required.

Stay well hydrated

If there's more I'd be interested to hear it please

Cheers
Bill

Edited by member 27 Jul 2022 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2022 at 16:42
In some areas, there are proper bladder training classes provided by the NHS 😏 These are particularly useful for people who have for many years emptied their bladder before it is near full and whose brains have therefore stopped being able to interpret the messages correctly. It becomes a habit rather than a genuine need but the brain can't tell. A classic example would be a man who wakes up countless times a night feeling the need to pee and unable to go back to sleep but only passes 300ml each time while during the day can hold 800/1000ml without problem.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 09:35
@Lynn

a man who wakes up countless times a night feeling the need to pee and unable to go back to sleep but only passes 300ml each time while during the day can hold 800/1000ml

This is exactly what happens!

@Bill

Never go "just in case" like every time you leave the house unless you know there will be no opportunity within the time required.

Oh, my god, I am turning into an old person :)

Thanks folks - I will try these out.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 09:54

Every morning, I wake up between 4 and 5 am with a sharp pain telling me I am dying to pee. But I never get up at that time  now because I know I am not going to wet myself. Sometimes I go back to sleep, sometimes I just lay awake. When I get up about 7am, I may rush to the loo to relieve myself of a decent volume, or I may walk around for ages before passing a miserable amount. Either way, the sensation when I first wake up is the same. So, even though I don't give in to the urge, either my brain, or my bladder, or both, do not seem to be learning much.