I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Strict Veggie Diet Anyone

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 15:30

I've been sceptical about diet having a significant effect on outcomes but this video talks about a large study and the experience of the doctor claiming a strict vegetarian diet can have significant benefits.  PCa grows faster with animal protein and fat it says. I respect this doctor having watched several of his videos. 

https://youtu.be/-UBHmXVYz-k

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 16:11

Been Vegetarian for the past 24 years. Still got PCA. I did eat cheese and drink milk but not in any significant quantities. Most would consider me strict. My fat intake is low and so is my cholesterol. So go figure.

Edited by member 28 Jul 2022 at 16:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 16:47
Although there is data suggesting that diet from childhood can affect your chance of getting prostate cancer (eg Japanese men, with a diet rich in fish oil, have a lower incidence than western men), there is no convincing evidence that any change of diet or food supplements affect the progress of prostate cancer once you have it.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Jul 2022 at 22:35
It doesn't grow faster, it's just eating veggie s*** makes time go slower,!

I was veggie for 30 years, still got cancer, I now eat keto, have lost 10kg and never felt better

User
Posted 29 Jul 2022 at 16:10

I've also been largely vegetarian for decades and hardly ever eaten red or processed meat.

Watching the video once more the study, which was published last May and lasted 20yrs, is about whether diet can change the likelihood of getting prostate cancer in men who are at genetic risk.   

The answer appears to be diet doesn't effect chances.   

Although it appears men who have 'good lifestyle behaviour' have lower mortality from the disease.   Good is, or maybe includes; not smoking, not overweight, exercise, eat a tomato based diet, fish, no red or processed meat.

He then talks about his experience/knowledge which is that a strict vegetarian diet can slow down the growth and psa rise, like they know sugar speeds up lung cancer growth.  He says prostate cancer grows more vigorously with diets built predominantly around animal fats and proteins.  He doesn't think small amounts of these are that significant.

Food for thought. Believe it, wholly or partly or not.

Edited by member 29 Jul 2022 at 16:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 06:03
Sorry it's simply wrong to say "his experience / knowledge" on a medical issue. Where are the double blind trials? Where are the causation mechanisms?

Even the processed meat argument doesn't have a causation mechanism. It is theorised that nitrates and nitrites used to preserve "processed meat" are to blame but, the Zoe initiative points out that plants are a much bigger source of nitrate / nitrites in fact the worst culprits are leafy vegetables!

I suspect what the Dr is actually "experiencing" is people changing their lifestyle in response to a cancer diagnosis. There has long been a guilt relationship with meat in humans, this guilt makes us think we have been punished, so lo and behold we think stopping a guilty pleasure will cure us - it won't and doesn't.

What may help the doctors patients is a change to eating a more varied diet rich in fruit and vegetables that "may" be facilitated by eating no meat, but could just as easily include some meat.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 17:28

Yes the doctor does make some statements without declaring data although he adds quite a few caveats as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ZOE goes further than you say for example.

'A study from France of 101,000 people found: Higher intakes of added nitrites were associated with higher prostate cancer risk.'   Note the word 'added'.

'Vegetables and fruit contain compounds that tend to neutralise or reduce the effects of these compounds.'

Their note concludes with:

'What should you do?

The links between processed meat and colon cancer are fairly well established.

However, the precise role of nitrates and nitrites is still being hammered out — but it seems that adding them to food might increase the risk of some cancers.

ZOE believes restrictive diets don’t work, so no foods are off the table. However, processed meats are associated with an increased risk of many health conditions. 

So, overall, it’s probably best to enjoy them just once in a while.'

-------------------------------------------------------------

Do we need to know the role to decide it's not good, I think not if cases show it happening. It's up to us with our tolerance of risk. Like smoking and piling on the butter.

Edited by member 30 Jul 2022 at 17:30  | Reason: Not specified