I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Stomach pains started 6 weeksafter radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 10:24

Posting this further to my previous conversation: “Surgery or hormone + radiotherapy”. Six weeks after my radical prostatectomy I seem to have been making a good recovery, apart from a UTI which was treated. However in the last week I started to get some pains and discomfort in my stomach, which is now a constant feeling of discomfort across the stomach and a feeling of fullness. It’s worse when sitting down or lying down, disappears a little when walking though quite a sharp pain when I make a sharp intake of breath. Concerned that it might be hernia related. I have the follow up appt (telephone) with histology report, in 5 days time so will bring it up then but wondering if I should call the recovery nurse sooner. Any advice and similar experience welcome, thanks. 
Tony

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 16:29

Hi 

I'm probably not in the same category cancer wise as you but before being diagnosed a had a lot of stomach/nausea and found out due to my kidneys starting to deteareat and had to have a double nephrostomy which 3 months on I still have kidneys where down to 19% but now there 69% and feeling a lot better 

I don't wish to alarm you at all it was just a personal thing why I was having pains.

Regards Phil and your feeling a bit better soon.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 17:45

My first thought is it's a strain on the partially healed major incision.   I had a few of those, quite intense when they happen and I became much more careful.   

You say it's internal and giving a feeling of fullness.  I find muscle and wound pains have a habit of travelling wider.   Obviously I might be wrong but I'd take it very easy for a few days and then ask the doctor.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 20:40
Update. I called 111 with my concerns, ended up having obs and urine dip test in local urgent treatment centre, not bad for a Saturday. Turns out I have a UTI again and now have antibiotics. Not sure if the UTI is responsible for the stomach pains but will see how it goes.
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:08

Hi 

That's great great,I hope everything works out for you 👍

User
Posted 06 Feb 2023 at 18:32
So long as it has been checked out by a medical professional and you are not feverish or in acute pain I would be inclined to take some paracetamol and watch Netflix for a week or two 5 weeks is way to early to be pain free!
User
Posted 06 Feb 2023 at 20:41

I developed occasional acute stomach pains 4 weeks after my RP. Went on for about a month afterwards. I checked with the uro-oncology nurses. She said your body is resetting itself and will take a while to settle down. The surgeon said he had never heard of such reports before.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 18:51

Turned out I did have a UTI quite a resistant one.  Have finished the course of antibiotics but still have the discomfort.  Hopefully my body will 'reset soon' 😄Especially as I go back to work next week.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 13:18
To clarify, the pain/discomfort is in the upper abdomen, level with the navel and incision places, but inside not on the surface.

Tony

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 16:29

Hi 

I'm probably not in the same category cancer wise as you but before being diagnosed a had a lot of stomach/nausea and found out due to my kidneys starting to deteareat and had to have a double nephrostomy which 3 months on I still have kidneys where down to 19% but now there 69% and feeling a lot better 

I don't wish to alarm you at all it was just a personal thing why I was having pains.

Regards Phil and your feeling a bit better soon.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 17:45

My first thought is it's a strain on the partially healed major incision.   I had a few of those, quite intense when they happen and I became much more careful.   

You say it's internal and giving a feeling of fullness.  I find muscle and wound pains have a habit of travelling wider.   Obviously I might be wrong but I'd take it very easy for a few days and then ask the doctor.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 20:30
Thanks Peter 2016, that would seem to make sense.

Tony

User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 20:40
Update. I called 111 with my concerns, ended up having obs and urine dip test in local urgent treatment centre, not bad for a Saturday. Turns out I have a UTI again and now have antibiotics. Not sure if the UTI is responsible for the stomach pains but will see how it goes.
User
Posted 30 Jul 2022 at 21:08

Hi 

That's great great,I hope everything works out for you 👍

User
Posted 15 Jan 2023 at 19:41

Hello. I’m new to the group but your symptoms are exactly the same as mine at the moment. Six weeks post prostatectomy, pains in my abdomen when taking sharp breaths etc. did you ever get to the bottom of it?? Thanks. 

User
Posted 15 Jan 2023 at 20:40
I didn't get a definitive answer but it was likely that as I started to become more active again I had strained something around an incision site, as suggested by Peter 2016. In my follow up calls with the physio she explained that the surgery does necessitate a lot of disturbance to one's insides which is why it's important to take things easy for up to 12 weeks. Anyway, my pains did go away and now after 6 months I feel fully recovered though occasionally still get a few niggly pains in the abdomen area. Best wishes, Tony.
User
Posted 15 Jan 2023 at 21:17
Thank you. I have been walking a fair bit. ( maybe a little too much) I thought it was a little strange then read your post and thought ah! That’s like me. I’ll try taking it easier from now on for the next few weeks. 👍
User
Posted 06 Feb 2023 at 17:55

I am also feeling the same about 5 weeks since operation. Doctors not sure why no UTI detected. Not sure what to do...

User
Posted 06 Feb 2023 at 18:32
So long as it has been checked out by a medical professional and you are not feverish or in acute pain I would be inclined to take some paracetamol and watch Netflix for a week or two 5 weeks is way to early to be pain free!
User
Posted 06 Feb 2023 at 20:41

I developed occasional acute stomach pains 4 weeks after my RP. Went on for about a month afterwards. I checked with the uro-oncology nurses. She said your body is resetting itself and will take a while to settle down. The surgeon said he had never heard of such reports before.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 18:51

Turned out I did have a UTI quite a resistant one.  Have finished the course of antibiotics but still have the discomfort.  Hopefully my body will 'reset soon' 😄Especially as I go back to work next week.