I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise after 25 months

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 15:21

I hit the dreaded 0.2 PSA in November 2.5 years post prostatectomy. My latest test is still 0.2. 

Has anyone stayed at 0.2 for quite a long time before salvage RT.  Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 20:16

Although hitting 0.2 implies more treatment is needed, it doesn't necessarily happen immediately.

Some times, they wait until you get to 0.5 so they can do a scan to locate the cancer before starting treatment, although the newest PSMA PET scanners can work down to 0.2.

Some times, they will assume the recurrence is in the prostate bed due to the pattern of PSA rising or the histology of the removed prostate, and treat without waiting for a scan.

You might be given the option. I would certainly ask about having a PSMA PET scan - this is more likely to happen if your hospital has that capability than if they have to send you somewhere else to have it done.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2022 at 21:36

J, my PSA took 33 months to hit 0.2, then two months later it was 0.27 and I started SRT. 

A few weeks ago one of my scan consultants said they would now do a psma pet scans when the PSA got to 0.3.

Thanks Chris