I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ongoing scenario…

User
Posted 05 Aug 2022 at 11:08

Just joined the group and looking for a spot of advice as I’m not sure what to do.

I’ve been under a Consultant now for over three years. I first went to my GP due to frequent night time urination and some urinary urgency. Cut a long story short I had what I think was a random biopsy reasonably quickly which came back negative. Then had an MRI which showed a possible suspicious area. Then had a targeted biopsy which came back clear. PSA over the last three years has been between 4 and 7, never less. Put on medication for an overactive bladder which has had some impact on the urgency but on nothing else. On a bad night I can be up five or six times. Had my latest phone call with my consultant this morning and my PSA has risen from a low 4 to a mid 5. Told him I was still concerned and should I have some more tests? His reaction was that unless my PSA goes up to 7 again there is no need. I have lost some weight recently and been feeling more tired than usual. I told him this and he said I should book in with my GP (which I have done) and have some blood tests as the cause could be potentially many different things.

Any thoughts/advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance…

User
Posted 05 Aug 2022 at 14:14
The fact that your PSA has been fluctuating indicates that you almost certainly do not have prostate cancer. If you have it, your PSA will only go in one direction: upwards. Your symptoms sound more like those of an infection. Hopefully your GP will be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Aug 2022 at 16:58

Thanks for the comment.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 08:36

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The fact that your PSA has been fluctuating indicates that you almost certainly do not have prostate cancer. If you have it, your PSA will only go in one direction: upwards.

Be careful with that advice...

November 2020 my PSA was 14.8, in Feb '21 it rose to 16.8 but in May '21 it fell back to 14.8.

The following October it rose to 21.6 at which time things got very serious - MRI, bone & PET scans, second biopsy and in June my prostate was removed.

User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 09:23

The fact that your PSA has been fluctuating indicates that you almost certainly do not have prostate cancer. If you have it, your PSA will only go in one direction: upwards.

Be careful with that advice...

Chris's advice is correct in the context - the OP has been under the care of urology, has had two biopsies and an mpMRI, has a PSA which fluctuates between 4 - 7 and is currently at around 5.

Very different to your situation MaxR&B

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 09:22

👍🏿

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 12:09

Very different to your situation MaxR&B
I get that.

I was just concerned that "If you have it, your PSA will only go in one direction: upwards." could be interpreted as comforting to somebody searching this forum for advice when it is not an established fact.

Almost all of us here bring one thing: our lived experience. Few, if any of us, are medical professionals and to say such a thing with apparent authority is unwise.