I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Having a TURP

User
Posted 05 Aug 2022 at 21:55

My husband is having hormone therapy prior to radiotherapy. He recently had a flow rate test which was 8.9 - considered poor so has been put on tamosulon to increase flow. If this doesn’t work he’ll need TURPS surgery to improve his flow before having radiotherapy. I wonder if anyone has been through this and can share their experience/advice. 
Thank you. 

User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 08:32

I had  a TURP five years ago. The procedure was performed under general anaesthetic and I spent two nights catheterised in hospital. I did suffer sharp pain when peeing (lots of blood) for the next few days but once it all settled down, the effect  was magic. I no longer had trouble getting started and the flow was constant and better than I ever remembered. My subsequent prostatectomy earlier this year was a little more complicated because of the scarring left by the TURP, but as your husband is having RT, that will not be an issue for him.

Good luck!

Peter

Edited by member 06 Aug 2022 at 08:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 11:54

I had a TURP in 2013 prior to having radiotherapy.  I had a catheter prior to that and the RT couldn’t be done while the catheter was in place  The procedure was fairly straightforward, I had the catheter again for the three days I was in hospital, once they removed it and were sure I could pee ok I was allowed to go home.  For a few days I peed blobs of blood but after that it was fine.  It made so much of a difference for the better.

Arthur

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Aug 2022 at 08:32

I had  a TURP five years ago. The procedure was performed under general anaesthetic and I spent two nights catheterised in hospital. I did suffer sharp pain when peeing (lots of blood) for the next few days but once it all settled down, the effect  was magic. I no longer had trouble getting started and the flow was constant and better than I ever remembered. My subsequent prostatectomy earlier this year was a little more complicated because of the scarring left by the TURP, but as your husband is having RT, that will not be an issue for him.

Good luck!

Peter

Edited by member 06 Aug 2022 at 08:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Aug 2022 at 11:54

I had a TURP in 2013 prior to having radiotherapy.  I had a catheter prior to that and the RT couldn’t be done while the catheter was in place  The procedure was fairly straightforward, I had the catheter again for the three days I was in hospital, once they removed it and were sure I could pee ok I was allowed to go home.  For a few days I peed blobs of blood but after that it was fine.  It made so much of a difference for the better.

Arthur

User
Posted 16 Nov 2022 at 13:27

I had a TURP , I am no expert but after that I started to pee blood which sent me into retention (couldn't pee at all ) very painful, had a catheter fitted that was so uncomfortable I could not sit, was left with this for 7 months. Have now had it removed, thank god.

I am now fighting with incontinence, trying to get my control back,  when I go to work I just don't drink incase I have an accident. 

It's left me with NO confidence at all and struggling with depression. 

User
Posted 22 Nov 2022 at 00:07
Seriously consider a HoLEP instead of the "Gold Standard" TURP (why they still call it the gold standard is beyond me).

A HoLEP will result in far fewer if any post op complications and a strong possibility of being discharged the same day if on the "early list" i.e. first procedure of the day.

Whatever surgical procedure to relieve the constriction of flow through the prostate is chosen, pelvic floor exercises a good two months prior to the procedure will vastly improve bladder control and minimise any leakage or even result in total bladder control immediately after the op.

Good luck with the outcome whichever procedure you opt for.

p.s. spinal block anaesthesia aids a speedier post op recovery and makes having a GA a non starter for me and I'd strongly recommend it for others, plus you get to watch your procedure on the screen.

Roger