Show search

Notification

Error

18 days post RP

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 13:35

Hey again

wanted to update on a few things. 
I’ve already talked about a few bits in other posts but today I thought would share more. 

im 49. Gleason 7. PSA was 4.7  prostate removed by robot and amazing surgeon 2.5 weeks ago

Saw my consultant for histology a few days ago. Good news but scary news. 
clear margins is all you need to hear and understand. But was told cancer was T3 and breached capsule. At this point I was craving English translation. Am I ok? Answer was yea but dodged a bullet I was told. Again. 
I feel relieved and angry. Angry at how close o was to something very very serious and life threatening. Relieved that it’s gone. And hope for good. 

consultant explained the cancer was outside prostate but with the area they took away it was contained. Clear margins. Lucky isn’t the word. 
he also managed nerve sparring on both sides and thankfully took enough for a clear margin. He said this was lucky I think on his part and clearly mine too. 
mixed emotions. When I think about a brush with death I cry instantly. When I hear a song which reminds me of winning or beating odds I cry. Generally I’m good though. 
PSA in a month will reveal more but expecting good news. I’m being positive again. Worst is over. 
icing on the cake… ED appears not to be an issue. Had a few signs of life and Saturday morning took a little blue pill for support and hey presto. All present and correct. 
feels odd to be normal again. 

Almost feels wrong to be ok when so close to not being. I said to my wife last night that all that worry was such a drama and waste of time after all. We laughed a bit but I know I’m lucky. 
my son aged 15 said why are you so lucky Dad? I’d hardly say this is lucky but he also refers to my breaking my leg and being told won’t walk properly again or run yet I still play football. My only answer was karma. I’m a good person and maybe that’s enough? Or just plain old lucky. 

my learning, when you look at the odds and stats picture yourself in the good end not the bad. Won’t always work out but what if it does! Positive mental attitude has to count for something. 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 13:49

Great news and outcome. Good to see these stories.

Edited by member 08 Aug 2022 at 17:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 14:03

Talk of margins is confusing. 
Has is spread? Just tell me that but please. 
Am I ok?

Wish was a more simple language. 
My consultant spends half his time or more on NHS. They are legends. Private is simply quicker, better food and endless biscuits. 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 15:59
Margin is nothing to do with whether it has spread.

The TNM tells you whether or not it has escaped the gland and / or spread elsewhere in the body. A positive margin tells you whether the surgeon has accidentally left some cancer behind during the op. You can be T3 N1 with a negative margin or a T1 with a positive margin - it is not down to luck.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 16:27

Positive margins: yes good to know thanks LynEyre.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 17:44

Positivity is a much over used word, and consequently no longer understood.

Most people think "positive feedback" is a good thing, but anyone from an engineering background will have a look of horror if you say a system has positive feedback, he/she will say "we're going have to build in some negative feedback to reduce instability". Meanwhile the HR manager will be giving them black marks for not being a team player.

So with cancer or pretty much any disease a positive test result is bad news it means you have that disease. If the margins test positive it means the surgeon didn't cut through clean healthy tissue, he cut through some tissue with cancer in, and the implication of that is that one half of the cut section was pulled out and the other half was left in and it had cancer cells in it.

So negative margins, or perhaps even better phrased clear margins is what you want to hear.

Dave