I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

life saving

User
Posted 10 Aug 2022 at 09:17

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer which also my father died from by not catching it early  , i wanted to tell my story to help save lives and not frighten people . I had  several biopsies for abnormal p.s.a readings over many years . I was eventually informed after negative biopsies " it does not mean you dont have prostate cancer it means we may not be able to find it " , which doing my homework it is true as a percentage of our prostate is hidden on a mri scan or unable to biopsy. As time went on i was developing symptoms weak urine flow etc but knew my own body and new something was wrong , eventually i was struggling to urinate and was told to go to local hospitol to be dealt with , which i was told they would put a camera down my penis in which i replied can i have a mri scan first i feel i have prostate cancer which they agreed to do . When the mri was done they found a tiny gleason 8 prostate cancer which they advised watchfull waiting , but i insisted i wanted removal ( knowing your own body ) , i knew in my heart of heart the symptoms i was having would not be caused by this small tiny gleason 8 and have read numerous posts in the past of hidden prostate cancer elseware and more aggressive . So i insisted on my prostate being removed which the surgeon agreed who fortunately was one of the best in the country . On removal i went to see the consultant 8 weeks after op who informed me it was a good job they did removed the lab revealed a significant gleason 9 wrapped around the uretha hidden which would of spread in the next couple of months !  The moral of this story is not to scare you , my case is not too common but 15% of prostate cancers do not show up on an mri and can be missed easily by biopsy so be aware if you  have symptoms keep on top of it and dont take no for an answer if you feel somethings wrong . I have been very lucky to get away with this so far my psa has been untraceable under 0.05 for 7 months after the op i also had clear margins , good luck everyone !

User
Posted 11 Aug 2022 at 11:48

Hi Neil, glad all is now OK. The right level of treatment is what we all want. Over treatment and under treatment will always happen, and it is hard to know which is worse.

People get well upset at a missed diagnosis, but as you say, how can they diagnose something which is hidden; we don't have the technology. People seem less upset at being treated for non existent disease, though the side effects can be severe, and in most cases no one finds out it would have been a harmless tumour, as the only way to know for sure is not treat it and see if it ends up killing you.

Dave

User
Posted 11 Aug 2022 at 17:00
Good that you followed your instinct (the main point of your post) and had the Prostatectomy. Hopefully, this removed all the cancer but unfortunately this is not always the case and even years later a few cancerous cells that may have escaped have the potential to metastasize. Do therefore continue having regular PSA tests, even at increasing intervals.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Aug 2022 at 17:23

and in most cases no one finds out it would have been a harmless tumour, as the only way to know for sure is not treat it and see if it ends up killing you.

Some may say a cynical comment. But to my mind, brilliantly true Dave.