Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Time for more treatment?

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 11:51

Hi everyone 😀

This site is just brilliant, for all sorts of reasons,...

I visit every now and again, as people are so knowledgable and caring, good to see some familiar faces too!

My journey started 8 years ago and you guys were so helpful then in preparing me for a RP and salvage radiotherapy further down the line. So from a PSA of 22.5 down to .24, not the magic 0.01 I was hoping for but the journey continues, my PSA is now 1.9 just had a pet-scan which revealed the lymph nodes are now affected.

Apparently it is not critical yet? That's what the Doc said, they have called me in for an appointment in about 3 weeks time to discuss options, they said I can have more radiotherapy which because I have had before I didn't think I could have anymore, but what do I know eh? Then there is Hormone Therapy, my question is, do you have a choice of which drug you can go on? Or is it the cost effective route? The other alternative is wait and watch.

Would be grateful for any comments, I probably posted in the wrong section but Hey!-Ho! 😬

Thank you,

Sid.

What matters is not the years in your life, but the life in your years!
User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 12:36
Great they are offering to treat the lymph nodes, snap their hands off on that one!
User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 13:12

I agree, take the offer of treatment to your lymph nodes . My PCa came back ( or never went ) in my lymph nodes and my consultant said they couldn’t do anything to treat it , only to go back on Hormone Therapy. 

Phil

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 13:39

Sid, I am in a very similar position and timeline, eight years since surgery,five years since SRT no HT. At a PSA of 1.6 I had a PSMA scan a few weeks ago.

Tomorrow I have the last of five SABR sessions to a lymph node in the pelvic area. A lot simpler procedure than the SRT, no bladder full or bowel empty for me. 

HT was not mentioned as an option with my SABR. I had already mentioned my reluctance to have HT. 

No side effects yet , perhaps a little more tired but probably more weather related than treatment. RT staff brilliant as usual. Another waiting game to see how successful it will be. 

Hope things go well for you.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 15:30

Thanks Phil and Chris for posting, it does seem Chris that you and I are in similar boats, I really hope all goes well for you and the treatment will blitz these beasts. I didn't know about SABR so just looked on the net. Will discuss at my appointment on the 1st Sept. Keep in touch ok.

Sid.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2022 at 11:57

Update after seeing the Consultant;

Having looked at the PET-Scan, the cancer is lighting up some lymph nodes, one by the rectum and others around the pelvic area. I asked about SABR and the consultant said he would not recommend SABR as that is a more targeted beam and his plan would be to target more lymph nodes ( around 5 ) and also giving some radiation around the area as well. The treatment plan is to go on BICALUTAMIDE 50mg one tablet a day for 12 months with an additional DECAPEPTYL 11.25mg injection every three months for 3 years. He explained that the tablets would lower the testosterone thus starving and weakening the cancer cells and then blast the cancer cells with radiation in 3/4 months time. To my surprise he said the cancer is still curative and we can still give it another blast in the future! The battle goes on,........

Sid.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2022 at 22:37

Thanks Chris,

Yes, you are right, things have changed for the better. I hope the SABR treatment has literally destroyed the tumour in that lymph node! Remain positive my friend, You have had a far more difficult journey than me, I really hope and pray things improve for you.

Sid.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 12:36
Great they are offering to treat the lymph nodes, snap their hands off on that one!
User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 12:57

Thanks Jon.

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 13:12

I agree, take the offer of treatment to your lymph nodes . My PCa came back ( or never went ) in my lymph nodes and my consultant said they couldn’t do anything to treat it , only to go back on Hormone Therapy. 

Phil

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 13:39

Sid, I am in a very similar position and timeline, eight years since surgery,five years since SRT no HT. At a PSA of 1.6 I had a PSMA scan a few weeks ago.

Tomorrow I have the last of five SABR sessions to a lymph node in the pelvic area. A lot simpler procedure than the SRT, no bladder full or bowel empty for me. 

HT was not mentioned as an option with my SABR. I had already mentioned my reluctance to have HT. 

No side effects yet , perhaps a little more tired but probably more weather related than treatment. RT staff brilliant as usual. Another waiting game to see how successful it will be. 

Hope things go well for you.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 16 Aug 2022 at 15:30

Thanks Phil and Chris for posting, it does seem Chris that you and I are in similar boats, I really hope all goes well for you and the treatment will blitz these beasts. I didn't know about SABR so just looked on the net. Will discuss at my appointment on the 1st Sept. Keep in touch ok.

Sid.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2022 at 11:57

Update after seeing the Consultant;

Having looked at the PET-Scan, the cancer is lighting up some lymph nodes, one by the rectum and others around the pelvic area. I asked about SABR and the consultant said he would not recommend SABR as that is a more targeted beam and his plan would be to target more lymph nodes ( around 5 ) and also giving some radiation around the area as well. The treatment plan is to go on BICALUTAMIDE 50mg one tablet a day for 12 months with an additional DECAPEPTYL 11.25mg injection every three months for 3 years. He explained that the tablets would lower the testosterone thus starving and weakening the cancer cells and then blast the cancer cells with radiation in 3/4 months time. To my surprise he said the cancer is still curative and we can still give it another blast in the future! The battle goes on,........

Sid.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2022 at 20:55

Sid, things have moved on since we started our journeys, a few years ago we would not be having PSMA scans and additional RT. Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 12 Sep 2022 at 22:37

Thanks Chris,

Yes, you are right, things have changed for the better. I hope the SABR treatment has literally destroyed the tumour in that lymph node! Remain positive my friend, You have had a far more difficult journey than me, I really hope and pray things improve for you.

Sid.