I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Support group for family members

User
Posted 19 Aug 2022 at 09:40

Can anyone recommend a support group especially for family members?

User
Posted 19 Aug 2022 at 19:24

Pandora, Facebook has a general site, and a ladies site. However based on your bio comment, I think the concerns you have about causing anxiety to men on here may equally apply to men and family members of any group.

There have been some honest discussions on here about how hard things can be for family members.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Aug 2022 at 20:10

Hi Pandora, naturally I'm sad that you are here under these circumstances, but you will get good support here, and your input will no doubt help others.

Don't fear about upsetting us. There are some very frank discussions on this forum about end of life care, and I would say at least half the members of this site are women, so clearly this is a site for family members not just patients.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Aug 2022 at 01:02
Post here, Pandora - there won't be anything that we haven't already discussed!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 10:23
Thank you so much for all your replies. Only trouble is they made me cry, not something I go in for usually and I have never been 100% convinced that the endomorphs help. It’s very affecting to realise how many people are out there wrestling with parallel problems and being so kind to one another. And even funny. Especially about the impact of the elephant(s) in the room which I have seen on old chat threads. Have to respect whatever way my much-loved relative is responding to being very ill, but it is so sad that it is so isolating, not just for him, but for his wife, my sister, who wants to protect family members (grown up children) by avoiding visiting the realities on them. And finds it so hard to ask for help. Stiff upper lip. Virtues, the ‘leave it to me’ approach which has made her such a brilliant mother can turn into vices according to circumstances. Elephant number two. It is very difficult for her to clock that if she must protect the family, it would not be disloyal to her husband to talk frankly to the hospicecare nurse. And how do you pace yourself?, not knowing what phase may be round the corner or when it might arrive?
User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 17:29
Jlbatty thank you for your message. I am too new to the site to be able to reply privately but will when I can
User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 18:17

Hello Pandorabox, I'll look out for your response when you can. Take care, best wishes, Janet

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 13:15

Hi Chris,

I am new to all this, since my husband was very recently diagnosed with stage 4.

I have been trying to find the ladies site on Facebook with no avail, have you any idea what its called? 

I know this is a very open forum but would like somewhere private where my husband would not possible stumble across something that I have written.

Many thanks

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 18:30

PC ladies UK support group.

Search in face book not in Google.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/381118649132363/?ref=br_rs

The above link might take you to the join page.

PC Ladies UK Support Group

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 11 Jan 2023 at 18:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jan 2023 at 19:53

Pandora box Hi 

protecting the family is honourable but in some ways cruel

if you can persuade your sister to share the situation the family can prepare emotionally 

I would recommend you use this forum to share your thoughts . The people here understand and have so so many experiences. I have found it extremely helpful 

best wishes

N