I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Perineal discomfort and leaking

User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 12:25

I had robot assisted surgery to remove my prostate on the 20th April 2022 and nearly 4 months later I still have incontinence though it has improved slightly as I have been using a kegal tens machine twice a day and I also leak when I lift above a certain weight like a full shopping bag, is this normal after this amount of time any info would be appreciated 

User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 19:21

Hi Jimbo, I did not have RP so I can't give any direct experience. From other postings on this site it sounds like you're doing OK. Very few are fully continent within six months of RP and for most it gets progressively better for about two years.

Edited by member 21 Aug 2022 at 22:32  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 22:26
Hi Jimbo

Much of this stuff is down to the individual. Some guys are fully continent after 4 weeks, and some guys take 9-12 months. You are 4 months in, and doing pretty well IMHO. Keep doing the exercises and you'll be fine.

You mention perineal discomfort in your post title but then don't say much else about it. Have you mentioned this to your doctor?

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 11:49
I still get some perineal area discomfort 7 years after RP. At its worst after sex or heavy lifting.

Raised it after about 2 years with my urologist and he said it was to be expected because of all the slicing and dicing.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 12:16

Jim, the pain in the perineum could be an infection, might be worth a urine test.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 19:21

Hi Jimbo, I did not have RP so I can't give any direct experience. From other postings on this site it sounds like you're doing OK. Very few are fully continent within six months of RP and for most it gets progressively better for about two years.

Edited by member 21 Aug 2022 at 22:32  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 21 Aug 2022 at 22:26
Hi Jimbo

Much of this stuff is down to the individual. Some guys are fully continent after 4 weeks, and some guys take 9-12 months. You are 4 months in, and doing pretty well IMHO. Keep doing the exercises and you'll be fine.

You mention perineal discomfort in your post title but then don't say much else about it. Have you mentioned this to your doctor?

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 09:36

Yes I spoke to a cancer nurse and was told it can be sensitive for quite a while depending on the person’s recovery rate along with everything else 

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 11:49
I still get some perineal area discomfort 7 years after RP. At its worst after sex or heavy lifting.

Raised it after about 2 years with my urologist and he said it was to be expected because of all the slicing and dicing.

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 12:16

Jim, the pain in the perineum could be an infection, might be worth a urine test.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 15:06

Yes I also notice the discomfort when having sex and I also get pain at the base of the penis when erected but got told it’s all to do with the operation and effect’s everyone differently