Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Salvage RALP

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 16:19

Hi

I'm hoping to contact fellow community folk who, like me, have also had a salvage prostatectomy. I needed a salvage prostatectomy when cancer returned 6 years after having brachytherapy.

I am struggling to find information or statistics regarding such things as incontinence recovery time, ED etc for salvage prostatectomies and was hoping we could share our experiences.

If you've had a salvage prostatectomy and want to get in touch then please PM me or send me a message on page and I'll contact you.

Thanks.

Zum

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 20:01
I can think of only one member here who has had salvage RP; hopefully he will comment.

Nerve sparing isn't usually possible with salvage RP which means erections will be via injections or vacuum pump. Urinary incontinence is also more likely but not a given.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Aug 2022 at 20:28

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I can think of only one member here who has had salvage RP; hopefully he will comment.

Nerve sparing isn't usually possible with salvage RP which means erections will be via injections or vacuum pump. Urinary incontinence is also more likely but not a given.

Thank-you Lynne - yes let's hope that one person replies. I am in contact with one other person not associated with this site.

For info. I did have nerve sparing on one side although I'm not hopeful. The pump is a welcome accessory. I was also told that I could well be down to one pad a day after 6 months but alas that's not been the case. Currently around 20% incontinent but that's a big improvement.

I have asked the hospital for salvage RALP statistics but to date they haven't provided any!

User
Posted 24 Aug 2022 at 18:25

I think it is so rarely done in the UK, there perhaps aren't any meaningful statistics they can give you? Have you tried joining YANAnow! It is an international forum with a large membership and there are men on there who had SRP in Australia & the USA so more likely that you will find support & advice.

https://www.yananow.org/Links.shtml

Edited by member 24 Aug 2022 at 18:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Aug 2022 at 20:43

Z , guys hospital seem to be a frequently mentioned hospital for salvage prostatectomy. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 11:23

Z , guys hospital seem to be a frequently mentioned hospital for salvage prostatectomy. 

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, a lot of hospitals around the country now offer it as long as the cancer is still local, PSA not too high etc. It's usually the only possible cure option for eligible folk after having previous treatment.

Zum

User
Posted 04 Sep 2022 at 12:09

Thank you Lyn (and sorry for spelling your name incorrectly previously!).

I didn't know about YANAnow so will take a look. I'm aware that salvage prostatectomies have become more common over the last 5 years or so with improvements in technique and outcomes. More and more hospitals are offering them as a possible 'cure' option when cancer returns but remains localised to the prostate inc. the seminal vesicles. There are several papers available on the net referring to the procedure and the outcomes but, as always, the results vary!

If you come across anyone who has had one then please bear me in mind.

Zum

I think it is so rarely done in the UK, there perhaps aren't any meaningful statistics they can give you? Have you tried joining YANAnow! It is an international forum with a large membership and there are men on there who had SRP in Australia & the USA so more likely that you will find support & advice.

https://www.yananow.org/Links.shtml